Were you hurt in an accident? You need someone who not only knows your rights but protects them too. Reach out to speak to a Katy personal injury attorney at Steward Guss, Injury Accident Lawyers, today!
Most accidents are preventable, yet they still happen due to negligence and carelessness. If someone else’s negligent behavior left you injured, you shouldn’t get stuck with the bill.
As part of the Greater Houston area, Katy sees its fair share of catastrophic accidents. Incidents like slip and fall accidents, car accidents, workplace accidents, commercial truck accidents, construction site accidents, and pedestrian accidents injure people around Katy on a daily basis.
Sometimes, lives are lost or changed forever.
Katy Personal Injury Accident Guide
- If You Suffered a Personal Injury in a Katy, TX Accident, We Are Here for You
- Qualified to Handle a Wide Variety of Personal Injury Claims
- Our Katy Office Location
- Katy Office
- Katy, Texas Accident Statistics
- Types of Injuries People Suffer in Katy Personal Injury Accidents
- What Should I Do After an Accident in Katy?
- How Do I Know If I Have a Personal Injury Case in Katy?
- How Much Money Can I Get from My Katy Personal Injury Claim?
- How Long Do I Have to File a Personal Injury Lawsuit in Katy?
- How Much Does a Katy Personal Injury Lawyer Cost?
- How Long Does It Take to Get Paid for a Katy Personal Injury Case?
- Can I Still Recover Damages for My Katy Personal Injuries If I Was Partially At Fault?
- How Do I Obtain Compensation for My Katy Personal Injuries?
- Contact Our Office Today to Speak with an Experienced Katy Personal Injury Law Firm
- Read Our Client Reviews
If You Suffered a Personal Injury in a Katy, TX Accident, We Are Here for You
When you discuss your rights with an experienced Katy personal injury attorney as soon as you can, you can improve your chances of receiving the maximum recovery possible. You don’t deserve any less.
At Stewart J. Guss, Injury Accident Lawyers, our entire team of injury lawyers and legal professionals know the difference we can make for victims in need. We understand the stress, pain, and panic you are going through. That’s why we have representatives available to take your call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, absolutely free. Help is nearby.
If you were involved in an accident, call our office today at 866-980-3708 or share your unique situation via our online contact form. Our legal team consists of skilled negotiators and aggressive litigators ready to fight for the compensation you deserve. We offer completely free case evaluations with no risks and no obligations, and you pay us nothing unless we recover compensation for you.
If you are looking for a personal injury lawyer near you in Katy, TX, call our office today to schedule your free consultation with a dedicated Katy personal injury law firm.
Since establishing our headquarters in Houston, Texas in 1999, our firm has grown to numerous locations across the country, including hubs in Dallas, New Orleans, Los Angeles, and Atlanta. Along the way, we've built a trusted network of partners throughout all 50 states who share our values and our commitment to excellence.
**No matter where you are, it's our mission to insure that you have the finest representation for your case.**
Reach out now to learn more about how we can help.
What Sets Us Apart? Client-Focused Care & Compassion
At the law office of Stewart J. Guss, Injury Accident Lawyers, we treat every client with the respect and compassion they deserve.
When you partner with us, you’re a person, not a case number.
This client-focused attitude is the cornerstone of the legal team at Stewart J. Guss, Injury Accident Lawyers. We understand the stress and hardship you face when your life has been interrupted by an accident. One accident can change your life, but so can one victory with us.
Qualified to Handle a Wide Variety of Personal Injury Claims
Our Katy personal injury law firm is qualified to handle personal injury claims arising from any incident. While each personal injury case is unique, under Texas law, if an accident the result of someone’s negligence, injured victims can recover compensation for their losses.
As a seasoned personal injury law firm headquartered in Texas, we handle a variety of cases. The board-certified attorneys at Stewart J. Guss, Injury Accident Lawyers are prepared for whatever comes their way, including:
- Katy Car Accidents
- Katy Wrongful Death
- Katy Drunk Driving Accidents
- Katy Truck Accidents
- Katy Bus Accidents
- Katy Construction Worker Accidents
- Katy Motorcycle Accidents
- Katy Premises Liability
- Katy Slip and Fall Accidents
- Katy Bicycle Accidents
- Katy Pedestrian Accidents
We also handle many other types of personal injury claims in Katy. Reach out to us for a free consultation to determine your options for pursuing compensation.
Our Katy Office Location
Stewart J Guss, Injury Accident Lawyers has a law office in Katy, Texas, located at 6701 Hwy Blvd Suite 205, Katy, Texas 77494.
Come by our office to speak with an attorney for free, or call us to schedule an appointment.
Katy, Texas Accident Statistics
People are injured in accidents in Katy every day - sometimes with disastrous consequences. To put the issue into perspective, Katy accident statistics collected by the Texas Department of Transportation in one recent year highlighted 493 total crashes - that's nearly 10 per week.
While Katy has a population of over 19,000, you might think these numbers are negligible. But the truth is that even one life lost is still too many.
Our Katy personal injury law firm is dedicated to holding careless drivers and negligent individuals accountable for the damage they cause. We are here to protect your rights and help you get the compensation you deserve.
Types of Injuries People Suffer in Katy Personal Injury Accidents
Various scenarios can result in a wide range of catastrophic or fatal injuries to the victim involved in Katy personal injury accidents. Some of the common injuries we help clients recover compensation for include:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Spinal cord injuries
- Burns and scars
- Crushed or traumatically amputated limbs
- Internal injuries
- Complex fractures
- Soft tissue injuries
No matter what kind of injury you suffered or how it happened, a Katy personal injury lawyer from Stewart J Guss, Injury Accident Lawyers can get to the bottom of it and help you obtain the compensation you deserve.
What Should I Do After an Accident in Katy?
If you're involved in an accident in Katy, Texas, there are several important steps you should take to ensure your safety and well-being and protect your legal rights. Here's what you should do after an accident:
- Check for Injuries: First and foremost, check yourself and others for injuries. If there are serious injuries, call 911 immediately to request medical assistance.
- Move to a Safe Area: If it's safe to do so and your vehicle is obstructing traffic, try to move it to the side of the road to prevent further accidents.
- Call the Police: Regardless of the severity of the accident, it's a good idea to call the police. They will create an official report, which can be crucial for insurance claims and legal proceedings.
- Exchange Information: Exchange contact and insurance information with the other parties involved in the accident. This includes names, phone numbers, addresses, insurance company names, and policy numbers.
- Gather Evidence: If it's safe, take photos of the accident scene, vehicle damage, skid marks, and any relevant road signs or signals. This can help establish the circumstances of the accident.
- Obtain Witness Information: If there are any witnesses to the accident, ask for their contact information. Their testimony can be valuable in case there's a dispute about what happened.
- Don't Admit Fault: Avoid admitting fault, even if you believe you were responsible for the accident. Fault can be determined by insurance companies and legal authorities.
- Seek Medical Attention: Even if you feel fine, it's a good idea to seek medical attention after an accident. Some injuries, like whiplash or internal injuries, may not be immediately apparent.
- Notify Your Insurance Company: Report the accident to your insurance company as soon as possible. They can guide you through the process of filing a claim.
- Document Details: Keep a record of all relevant information, including the date and time of the accident, the location, weather conditions, and any conversations you have about the accident.
- Preserve Evidence: If you have visible injuries or damage to your vehicle, document them through photographs. Also, keep records of any medical treatments, expenses, and receipts related to the accident.
- Cooperate with Authorities: Provide truthful and accurate information to the police and your insurance company. Stick to the facts and avoid speculating about what happened.
- Notify Your Employer: If the accident occurred while you were working or using a company vehicle, notify your employer about the situation.
- Contact an Attorney: If you suffered injuries or significant property damage, consider consulting with a personal injury attorney who specializes in accidents. They can help protect your rights and navigate any legal actions that might arise.
Remember that your safety and well-being should always be your top priority. Following these steps can help ensure that you handle the situation appropriately and protect your interests after an accident in Katy.
How Do I Know If I Have a Personal Injury Case in Katy?
A personal injury lawsuit is one of the ways a person hurt by someone else’s wrongful actions can seek compensation for their injuries and losses. Lawyers for personal injury victims file these lawsuits to enforce their client’s legal rights against whoever harmed them.
What are some other ways an injured person can get compensation? Sometimes, lawyers for injured people do not need to file a lawsuit to get results. Just the implied possibility of the lawsuit can be enough to convince the legally liable person to pay up. In some cases, a specific type of insurance—like workers’ compensation—covers the injured person and makes filing a personal injury lawsuit unnecessary.
A skilled Katy personal injury lawyer can help in any of these situations. In fact, that’s a major part of any lawyer’s job: we figure out the most reliable and legally correct way to acquire the money an injured client needs and deserves to move on with their life.
That said, just because you sustained injuries in an accident does not mean you qualify to pursue compensation. Your attorney will have to establish liability on the at-fault party by showing:
- They owed you a duty of care. Vehicle drivers, for instance, have an inherent duty to drive safely, follow traffic laws, and avoid causing harm to others.
- The other party breached that duty through their negligence or wrongdoing.
- That breach was the proximate cause of your injuries.
- You suffered damages as a result.
To determine liability, your attorney will need to gather a lot of evidence to support your claim, which can come from police reports, accident reconstruction reports, eyewitness testimony, and other areas. Contact a Katy personal injury attorney at Stewart J Guss, Injury Accident Lawyers as soon as possible for a free case evaluation and advice regarding your options.
How Much Money Can I Get from My Katy Personal Injury Claim?
The amount of compensation a person can recover for a Katy personal injury claim varies depending on the type of injury, the victim’s circumstances, and how much money the legally liable party has available (in the form of insurance coverage or assets.)
Typically, victims have the right to seek compensation for:
- Past medical treatment and an estimate of treatments needed in the future.
- Lost wages due to being too injured to work or needing to miss work to obtain medical treatment.
- Loss of future earning capacity in the event your injuries are permanent and render you unable to return to the job you had before the accident, or unable to work at all.
- Non-economic damages, such as physical pain and suffering, permanent disability, emotional distress, and loss of enjoyment of life.
An experienced Katy personal injury attorney evaluates how much money a client has the right to receive in each of these categories. It might surprise you to hear about some types of payment the law allows. Contact Stewart J Guss, Injury Accident Lawyers for a free consultation on the types and amounts of compensation you may receive from your Katy personal injury claim.
How Long Do I Have to File a Personal Injury Lawsuit in Katy?
Like all other states, Texas has a statute of limitations that dictates how long you have to file a personal injury lawsuit. The statute of limitations is a legal time limit within which you must initiate legal action if you want to pursue a lawsuit for a personal injury claim. If you don't file within this time frame, you may lose your right to seek compensation through the court system.
The statute of limitations for personal injury lawsuits in Texas is generally two years from the date of the injury. This means you typically have two years from the date of the incident that caused your injury to file a lawsuit.
However, it's important to note that there can be exceptions or variations to this timeline depending on the specific circumstances of your case. For instance, if the injury was not immediately apparent or if the injured party is a minor, the statute of limitations might be different. Additionally, certain types of claims might have different time limits. Medical malpractice claims, for example, might have a different statute of limitations.
Because laws can change and individual circumstances vary, it's crucial to consult with a qualified personal injury attorney in Katy who can provide you with the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding the statute of limitations for your specific situation. They can guide you through the legal process and ensure that you take timely and appropriate action if you decide to pursue a personal injury lawsuit.
How Much Does a Katy Personal Injury Lawyer Cost?
The Katy personal injury attorneys at Stewart J Guss, Injury Accident Lawyers work on a contingency fee basis. We do not charge an upfront retainer or bill you for hourly fees. Instead, we will handle your claim and represent you throughout the process at no cost to you. If we recover compensation for you through an insurance settlement or court verdict, we will take a percentage of your award as our payment. If we don't recover compensation for you or win your case, you owe us nothing.
Since we also offer free consultations, you have nothing to risk and everything to gain by contacting Stewart J Guss, Injury Accident Lawyers and speaking with one of our attorneys.
How Long Does It Take to Get Paid for a Katy Personal Injury Case?
First off, there’s no guarantee you’ll get paid. You need the facts and the law on your side and a lawyer with the skill to put them to work for you.
The timeline for resolving a Katy personal injury case varies widely. We have represented local clients with claims that take just a month or two to go from an initial demand for payment to cash in hand. We have also represented clients in matters that stretched over a year or more, which can easily happen if a case goes to trial or if there are liability disputes.
The timeline for your Katy personal injury case depends on numerous factors, most of which are out of your control. These factors include:
- The number of parties in a case
- The location of the accident
- The amount of money at stake
- The evidence collection process
- The degree of dispute over factual or legal issues
- The personalities and professional styles of the lawyers and insurance representatives
- Your own level of financial need and other personal factors that weigh into how long you can hold out without a payment
Be sure to talk to your Katy personal injury lawyer about your priorities so they can plan a strategy to best serve your interests.
Can I Still Recover Damages for My Katy Personal Injuries If I Was Partially At Fault?
In all likelihood, yes. However, you must understand the concept of comparative fault, also known as comparative negligence. This is a legal principle that comes into play in personal injury cases when both the plaintiff (the injured party) and the defendant (the alleged at-fault party) share some level of responsibility for the accident or incident that caused the injuries. Comparative fault is used to determine how the damages should be allocated between the parties based on their respective degrees of fault.
In Katy and throughout Texas, the comparative fault rule is used to assess how compensation should be awarded in cases where both parties are partially responsible for the injuries. The primary concept behind comparative fault is to ensure that individuals who are partially at fault for an accident are not completely barred from seeking compensation.
Texas follows a modified comparative fault rule. Under this rule, an injured party can only recover compensation if they are less than 50% at fault for the accident. If the injured party is 50% or more at fault, they may be barred from recovering any compensation. If the injured party's fault is less than 50%, their compensation is reduced in proportion to their degree of fault.
If you're involved in a personal injury case in Katy where comparative fault is a consideration, it's recommended to consult with an experienced personal injury attorney. An attorney can help assess the circumstances of your case, gather evidence, negotiate with insurance companies, and advocate for your rights to ensure you receive fair compensation based on the principles of comparative fault.
How Do I Obtain Compensation for My Katy Personal Injuries?
To obtain compensation for your personal injuries in Katy, you'll need to go through a process that involves several key steps. Here's a general overview of what you should do:
- Seek Medical Attention: Your health is the top priority. Seek immediate medical attention for your injuries. Not only is this important for your well-being, but it also establishes a medical record that can be used as evidence in your case.
- Gather Evidence: Collect evidence related to the accident and your injuries. This may include photographs of the accident scene, property damage, injuries, and any other relevant details. If there were witnesses, gather their contact information.
- Document Your Expenses: Keep track of all medical bills, prescriptions, rehabilitation costs, and other expenses related to your injuries. This documentation will be important for calculating your damages.
- Consult with an Attorney: It's advisable to consult with an experienced personal injury attorney in Katy. They can provide legal guidance, evaluate the strength of your case, and help you navigate the complex legal process.
- Investigation: Your attorney will conduct a thorough investigation of the accident, gather evidence, interview witnesses, and assess the liability of the parties involved.
- File an Insurance Claim: Your attorney will help you prepare and file an insurance claim with the at-fault party's insurance company. This involves submitting evidence, medical records, and other relevant information to support your claim.
- Negotiations: Your attorney will negotiate with the insurance company to reach a fair settlement. This process may involve back-and-forth discussions to determine an appropriate compensation amount.
- Consider Mediation: If negotiations reach an impasse, you might consider mediation. A neutral third party can help facilitate discussions and potentially lead to a resolution.
- File a Lawsuit (if necessary): If negotiations and mediation don't lead to a satisfactory outcome, your attorney might recommend filing a lawsuit. This initiates the formal legal process.
- Discovery: During the lawsuit process, both sides exchange information and evidence. Depositions, document requests, and interrogatories (written questions) are common.
- Pretrial Motions: Both sides may file motions to request specific actions from the court, such as dismissing parts of the case or excluding certain evidence.
- Trial: If the case goes to trial, your attorney will present evidence, witnesses, and arguments to a judge and/or jury. The judge or jury will determine the outcome and the amount of compensation, if any.
- Verdict and Judgment: If you win your case or reach a settlement during the trial, the court will issue a judgment specifying the compensation amount.
- Appeals (if applicable): Either side may appeal the court's decision if they believe legal errors occurred during the trial.
- Collecting Compensation: If you win your case or reach a settlement, you'll receive the compensation amount determined by the court or negotiated in the settlement.
Throughout this process, having a skilled personal injury attorney by your side can significantly improve your chances of obtaining fair compensation for your injuries. They will guide you, protect your rights, and work to achieve the best possible outcome for your case.
Don’t Try to Fight the Insurance Company Alone
Most personal injury cases settle out of court. This means the insurance company and the victim come to an agreement about how much the insurance company will pay in order for the victim to release the other party from any liability. In fact, in many cases, a lawsuit is never even filed!
But swift settlements are not always in your best interest. Insurance companies want to keep their profits tidy and avoid paying you what you are owed. You might not know what you’re entitled to, but it’s our job to! Hire a Katy law firm that will represent you and stand up against unfair insurance adjusters. Never sign or accept anything from an insurance company until you have received legal advice.
A personal injury lawyer will take the time to listen to your story and learn how your injuries have affected you. Accidents have a ripple effect, sending shockwaves through your personal and professional life for weeks or months. Piecing together this “big picture” allows us to go after the largest settlement we can. We can connect you with the local resources and experts you need to help strengthen your case and make a full recovery.
It can be hard to put a price tag on your pain and suffering, but with diligent recordkeeping, a Katy personal injury lawyer can help you calculate the value of your accident claim.
Remember, once you settle a case, there’s no going back. Don’t get slammed with unexpected bills in the future. With so much on the line, it’s imperative that you retain a law firm who won’t hesitate to take a case to trial if the insurance company refuses to play fair.
If I File a Personal Injury Lawsuit, Does It Mean I Am Going to Court?
Probably not. As we said, the vast majority of personal injury lawsuits settle before a case ends up in a courtroom. (“Settling” means the case is dismissed in exchange for a satisfactory payment to the victim.)
Still, experienced Katy personal injury lawyers know that you can never be certain a case will settle without a trial. That’s why the best lawyers always prepare as if the case will go in front of a judge and jury, and continually sharpen their skills to win. If it takes a trial to obtain fair compensation for an injured Katy personal injury victim, our lawyers are prepared for battle.
Someone Else’s Insurance Company Wants Me to Give a Statement About My Injuries. Should I?
Absolutely not! At least, not without first getting advice from our experienced Katy personal injury attorneys. Insurance companies use some sneaky tactics to try and avoid paying claims, including calling you up and trying to get you to say something that undermines your own legal rights. Don’t fall for their tricks. Make sure you’ve got a Katy personal injury lawyer on your side first, before anyone speaks to a representative of someone else’s insurance company.
Where Does the Settlement Money Come From?
Some people harbor unwarranted guilt about “suing” an individual who has accidentally harmed them. The truth is you are not suing an individual, but rather their insurance company. In most Katy personal injury cases, the money you get for your injuries and losses comes from the insurance company that issued a policy to the person or entity who injured you. Sometimes, you might also receive payment directly from that legally-liable party, if they have the money available to pay you.
The main focus of every seasoned Katy personal injury lawyer is to identify every party who has a liability, so that you can pursue a payment from as many sources as possible. This gives you the best chances of getting every dollar you deserve.
How Do I Collect a Settlement or Award in My Kary Personal Injury Case?
Good news: that’s part of your Katy personal injury lawyer’s job, too! Typically, when a case settles through an agreement between the parties, the money gets transferred at the same time the parties sign the agreement. The payment usually comes into the lawyer’s client escrow bank account. The lawyer deducts fees and expenses as agreed between the two of you (see below), and then you get the rest!
In cases that end in a jury awarding you damages instead of the parties settling, collection sometimes gets a bit more complicated, but it ultimately works out the same way. And trust us: your lawyer wants you to get paid as much as you do!
Will I Have to Pay Taxes on the Compensation I Receive?
Probably not at the federal level, and definitely not at the state level, since the Texas constitution prohibits an income tax.
According to the U.S. Internal Revenue Service, awards and settlements you receive for personal injury are not considered income and are not taxable in most cases. One exception to this is if you recover punitive damages. Because punitive damages are not damages relating to your injury and resultant expense, but rather are damages designed to punish the defendant for particularly reckless behavior, the federal government can subject them to income tax. Still, it’s always good to double-check with a tax preparer or accountant before you file.
Contact Our Office Today to Speak with an Experienced Katy Personal Injury Law Firm
If you're searching for an insurance lawyer in Katy, Texas, look no further. Stewart J. Guss and his team have over 20 years of experience handling insurance accidents claims of all kinds. Whether you were in a car accident or a commercial slip and fall premises liability case, we're here to help.
At Stewart J. Guss, Injury Accident Lawyers, we have dedicated ourselves to helping victims get the compensation they deserve. We are not afraid to take on large insurance companies that only care about their bottom line.
If you choose us to represent you, you pay us nothing unless we’re able to get you compensation for your injuries and other losses. That’s right: because we take all our personal injury cases on a contingency fee basis, you will not owe us a dime unless we win your case.
If you suffered an injury in Katy, there is no reason to go it alone. The legal team of Stewart J. Guss, Injury Accident Lawyers, is nationally recognized for protecting the rights of injured victims for more than 20 years. If you were injured in Katy, call now at 800-898-4877, submit your information for a free confidential case evaluation from a legal expert. We’re available for you 24/7, 100% free.
When your health is at stake, don’t take chances. Make choices. Choose our board-certified personal injury lawyers.
Don't Take Chances - Let Us Help You!
Read Our Client Reviews
Review: 5/5 ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
"As a relatively new resident of Houston, I did not know of an attorney to contact for a personal injury suit. I randomly went through the yellow pages contacting two attorneys that had rejected my case prior to me contacting Stewart Guss. Stewart took my case on and settled for far more than I had anticipated. The silver lining of this is that I will now have enough money to go back to school for retraining, so I will be able to reenter the workforce in a new capacity. The paralegal, Angela, was kind and supportive throughout the process. If I did not understand the legal jargon, I did not hesitate to ask, and was never once made to feel that I was incompetent. Thank you Stewart and Angela for giving me a new lease on live." -Sally T.
Review: 5/5 ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
"Mr. Guss was wonderful. He fought hard against the insurance company to get us what we deserved." - Karley B.
See more client testimonials here.
Katy Emergency Rooms
Seek immediate medical attention at one of the emergency rooms or urgent care centers serving Katy if you or a loved one suffered serious injuries in an accident:
- Katy Emergency Room - A Village Emergency Center: 24433 Katy Fwy #700, Katy, TX 77494
- ER Katy: 25765 Katy Fwy, Katy, TX 77494
- Memorial Hermann Katy Hospital Emergency Center: 23900 Katy Fwy, Katy, TX 77494
- RapidCare Emergency Room - 24hr Katy ER: 1510 S Mason Rd, Katy, TX 77450
- 24 Hour Emergency Room - Convenient Care Center in Katy: 22430 Grand Corner Dr, Katy, TX 77494
- Memorial Hermann Katy Hospital: 23900 Katy Fwy, Katy, TX 77494
*Disclaimer – Stewart J. Guss, Injury Accident Lawyers does not endorse these healthcare providers, nor do we profit from having them listed on our website.
- Katy Municipal Court: 5432 Franz Rd, Katy, TX 77493
- Fort Bend County Justice: 22333 Grand Corner Dr, Katy, TX 77494
Neighborhoods We Serve in Katy, TX
Heritage Park West (77493), Katyland (77493), Woodcreek Reserve (77494), Katy Heights (77493), Heritage Professional Plaza (77494), Village Green West (77493), Rice (77494), Katy Station (77493), Riceland Terrace (77493), Lilac Terrace (77493), Phillips (77493), Woodberry (77493), Whispering Pines (77494), Pine Meadows (77493)