What are the signs of nursing home abuse?By Stewart J. Guss on April 5th, 2016
It is important to remember that the abuse of an older person can happen at the hands of an individual caregiver, or in a nursing home. Below are some examples of the forms elderly abuse can take.
There are many different situations where nursing home abuse can occur. However, the following are categories that generally rise to the level of abuse:
- Physical abuse.
- Emotional abuse.
- Sexual abuse.
- Financial exploitation.
While neglect can take many forms, it is generally defined as a failure to provide for an older person’s needs as those needs relate to food, shelter, clothing, hygiene or health care.
Warning Signs of Abuse or Neglect
There are many types of warning signs that may indicate someone is being abused or neglected. They may include:
Physical or Sexual Abuse
- Unexplained sexually transmitted diseases
- Unexplained bruises, fractures, welts, cuts, sores, or burns.
- An elderly person has signed papers to transfer authority to someone else, such as power of attorney or will, but does not understand what the transaction means.
- Unusual changes in behavior and alertness.
- A caregiver does not let anyone in the home or visitors speak to the elder.
- A caregiver is verbally demeaning, controlling, or uncaring.
- Lack of basic hygiene or suitable clothing.
- No nutritional food, dehydration, or unexplained weight loss.
- Untreated or uncontrolled infections.
- An elderly person suffering from dementia is left unsupervised.
- An elderly person is confined to his or her bed and is without care.
- The home or room is cluttered and dirty.
- The presence of bedsores.
Contact Houston Attorney Stewart Guss
Attorney Stewart Guss understands that nursing home abuse can have devastating consequences on families and loved ones. With the help of Houston attorney Stewart Guss, we can right the wrongs of nursing home abuse.
If you suspect nursing home abuse, you need a strong yet approachable advocate on your side. Houston attorney Stewart Guss will do whatever it takes to get you full compensation and justice for your nursing home abuse or neglect claim. He takes pride in treating his clients like family. Pick up the phone and call 713-766-5883 to talk to us about your case. Remember, your consultation is FREE, and you pay NOTHING until we win your case.