Injured in an accident? Call our trusted Dallas law firm for help.
Office Location: 1910 Pacific Avenue, Suite 6000, Dallas, TX 75201
After an evening of being out with friends, you decide the safest option for getting home is to call an Uber. You are tired, your friends are tired, and you know the dangers of drowsy driving, so you decide it is not worth the risk. You have believed Uber drivers receive training to get you safely from one destination to another.
You contact Uber via their app, and you are assigned a driver. They arrive a short time later, and you begin to go home. Unfortunately, you are involved in a car accident less than two miles from your home. It has all happened so quickly; you are unsure what happened.
Uber accidents are complicated, and you will have to determine fault for the accident and whose insurance company to notify. Since these accidents are so complex, you should contact a Dallas Uber accident injury lawyer at Stewart J. Guss, Injury Accident Lawyers, to help you through this process.
We are a national law firm with multiple offices around the country, including Dallas. We also work with affiliate law firms that share our focus and dedication to excellence in most states. No matter where you are located, we may be able to help you, so call or contact us now. We are open, for free, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, at 800-898-4877, or you may contact us now by clicking here to submit your case for review. Let us seek a settlement on your behalf while you focus on recovering physically following an accident.
Uber Accident Guide
- Hiring a Law Firm With Experience
- Injuries Associated With Dallas Uber Accidents
- Establishing Liability After a Dallas Uber Accident
- Recovering Financially Following a Dallas Uber Accident
- Finger Pointing to Escape Liability
- Dallas Insurance Requirements and Other Uber-Related Information
- The Cost of Hiring Legal Help for a Dallas Uber Accident Claim
- Contact Stuart J. Guss Injury Accident Lawyers After Your Dallas Uber Accident
Hiring a Law Firm With Experience
You may think that an Uber accident is not much different than a regular car accident. However, if you contact an attorney who has no experience with Uber wrecks, you may not be happy with the outcome of your claim.
When you speak with a Dallas lawyer, find out if they have experience handling claims for Uber accidents.
Injuries Associated With Dallas Uber Accidents
Keep in mind all car accidents can result in serious injuries. When you are involved in an Uber accident, you may be an Uber driver, a passenger in an Uber, a driver or passenger in another vehicle, or a pedestrian. The injuries can vary in speed, weather conditions, and the size of the vehicle each party is operating at the time of the wreck.
Some of the common injuries in any car accident include:
- Head and neck injuries - These injuries can be debilitating. Victims who suffer head trauma may have long-term issues like traumatic brain injury (TBI), neck injuries that take months to heal, and in both cases, victims could require long-term care related to their recovery.
- Back and spine injuries - Back pain after an auto accident is widespread. The thrashing your body takes during a collision can result in sprains, strains, and herniated discs in your back. It may take days before you feel any pain, and treatment times vary depending on how severe the injury is.
- Broken bones are common - The higher the rate of speed when you are involved in an accident, the higher the chances of broken bones. Victims can suffer rib fractures, which can cause additional complications. Severe fractures may require surgical intervention and weeks of painful rehabilitation therapy.
- Cuts, abrasions, and bruising - While these types of injury may sound minor, keep in mind when glass in a car window or windshield shatters during a wreck, it flies through the air and may embed itself in a passenger or driver’s face, head, or limbs. Unfortunately, this could lead to additional problems, including infections at the site where the glass entered.
These types of injuries, and others, will require immediate and, in some cases, ongoing medical care to ensure a full recovery. In some cases, the injured party’s medical insurance does not cover the damage, complicating everything.
Remember this: Following any roadway accident, you need to seek medical attention, mainly if you are involved in a Dallas Uber accident. Even if you do not think your injuries are severe, you want to make sure you have documented the injuries you suffered, and you do not want to put your overall health at risk by not getting a thorough examination.
At Stewart J. Guss, Injury Accident Lawyers, we will leave no stone unturned in making sure the responsible parties are held accountable for the harm they have caused and the long-term consequences of your injury.
Establishing Liability After a Dallas Uber Accident
You may think determining the responsible party following an Uber accident will be simple. While it may be accessible in some cases, sometimes it isn’t effortless. Here are some of the reasons that can confuse liability:
- Uber Driver Status - There are three different status settings for Uber drivers. One pertains to when they are actively driving a passenger; one is when they are in "standby" mode, and one is when they are completely off duty. Before determining driver liability, one must first know their status during the accident. This assessment may require obtaining cell phone records to determine app activity. In most cases, an accident victim will not be able to access this information independently.
- Multiple Car Accidents - If an Uber is only one of the vehicles involved in an accident on Dallas roadways, there may be more than one party who should be held liable. For example, if there are three cars in line and your car is the first, and an Uber rear-ends you, they may have been hit from behind by the third vehicle. In this case, the Uber driver and the other driver may both be responsible for your injury.
- Dangerous Road Conditions - Sometimes, an accident could be avoided if not for poor road conditions. Potholes, sinkholes, and ice can make driving treacherous. There are stretches of roads in Dallas that are considered some of the deadliest in Texas, including a five-mile stretch of I-35E, near Downtown Dallas, Marvin D Love Freeway, between Camp Wilson Road and Illinois Avenue Texas 12 Loop. The city might be partially liable if a road condition caused the accident.
As you can see, establishing liability, which is necessary for any accident claim, is not always as straightforward as it may seem. While a police report may help determine the cause of the accident, it may not be as clear about the fault for the accident.
Recovering Financially Following a Dallas Uber Accident
While you may be more focused on your recovery following an accident, there is little doubt you are feeling the financial strain of an injury. You are out of work, if you were driving your car, your car might need repair or replacement, your health insurance may not be covering all of your treatments, and your family is supplementing your income from your nest egg.
These are a few reasons you may have to seek guidance from a Dallas Uber accident lawyer. Do not suffer financially when the negligence of another party injures you. Uber drivers, their passengers, or other drivers who have been in a crash involving an Uber have the right to be compensated for their losses.
Some of the potential areas where you can seek remuneration include:
- Damage to your car
- Medical bills related to the accident injury
- Costs of household help while you recover
- Loss of wages and benefits during recovery
- Pain and suffering
- Long-term care for conditions such as car accident-related PTSD
Always discuss the basics of a potential claim with a qualified Uber accident lawyer before you file an initial claim with the insurance company. You should also speak with an attorney before you file a claim because if you file a claim for less than what your final damages are going to be, you may not receive full compensation.
Finger Pointing to Escape Liability
Clients often ask us if Texas is a no-fault state for auto insurance. Although you can purchase a no-fault policy here as an add-on to your car insurance, it is not.
Every driver must maintain a minimum amount of insurance in Texas.
Texas is a fault state, which means victims can file a tort claim to recover financially after an accident involving another person's negligence. This does not mean the insurance claim process is easy.
Insurance companies do not like to pay claims. This is the furthest thing from their minds. Remember, paying a claim affects their bottom lines, which means they will earn less profit for each claim they pay. Therefore, it is in their best interest to do everything possible to minimize the amount paid out.
Some of the common ways you can fall into the traps set by insurance companies to minimize your claim include:
- Giving recorded statements
- Talking about what you were doing before a crash
- Not understanding the company’s approach to your medical treatment
- Providing too much information about your injury
- Discussing the time you have lost from work
- Signing paperwork without a legal review
We know what happens when an insurance company gets your claim, and in fact, we have revealed many secrets about accident claims. We understand the steps an insurance company will take to make sure they are not paying you the full amount of what your claim may be worth.
Never assume the insurer is working towards a positive outcome for you. They are working on the best possible outcome for themselves, which means paying you as little as possible, regardless of your losses or out-of-pocket expenses. At Stewart J. Guss, Injury Accident Lawyers, our goal is to help level the playing field.
Dallas Insurance Requirements and Other Uber-Related Information
You may not know that Dallas is in the top 15 users of rideshare companies. While Uber drivers have mandatory insurance requirements, their personal insurance coverage may not cover your losses. That is why it is helpful to have a lawyer help you through the claims process.
While Uber does have vehicle and insurance requirements for its Dallas drivers, it may not have fully vetted a driver, or the driver's status may have changed since they started.
The Cost of Hiring Legal Help for a Dallas Uber Accident Claim
You may think that hiring a lawyer is too expensive. However, at Stuart J. Guss, Injury Accident Lawyers, we believe every person should speak with a lawyer before filing an insurance claim. There are some reasons for this.
When a Dallas Uber accident seriously injures a victim, it may take several weeks or months before you know the full prognosis. You also have to be cautious about when you are filing a claim because of the two-year limit imposed by Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code 16.003(a). If dangerous road conditions partly caused your injury and you have to file a claim against the government, you have only six months to do so, according to Tex. Civ. Prac. & Rem. Code section 101.101.
Keep a few things in mind:
- Consultations are free
- Consultations are confidential
- Our firm works on a contingency basis
- We do not accept cases unless we believe we can negotiate or win a settlement
- We pay for the out-of-pocket costs associated with filing your claims or lawsuit
We only collect legal fees if we successfully secure a settlement for your Uber accident injuries. If we do not win your case, you pay nothing in attorney’s fees. You will be responsible for the fees associated with filing and other fees, but we will take the time to explain these fees in full. We have a vested interest in making sure we get you the settlement you deserve following an injury.
Contact Stuart J. Guss Injury Accident Lawyers After Your Dallas Uber Accident
If you suffered an injury in a Dallas Uber accident, contact our offices immediately for your free case evaluation. We can evaluate your case and tell you whether we can handle your case effectively. If we agree to work together, we will work tirelessly to get you your compensation.
The legal team of Stewart J. Guss, Injury Accident Lawyers, is nationally recognized for protecting the rights of injured victims for more than 20 years. If an Uber accident injured you in Dallas, call our office right now for a free consultation! Because we take all of our Uber accident cases on a contingency fee basis, you will not owe us a dime unless we win your case. We are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, so call us today at 800-898-4877 or contact us now by clicking here.