Almost everywhere you turn, you face the possibility of a serious accident in Dallas. Accidents can happen when you’re on the road, walking down the street, grocery shopping, at the pool, or anywhere else -- and when you least expect them. The effects of such incidents can last for months or years and can change your life forever. If you’ve suffered a serious personal injury incident in Dallas, you need serious representation.
After practicing law in Texas for more than 20 years, attorney Stewart J. Guss and his team of lawyers and legal professionals have a deep appreciation and understanding of what makes the state of Texas so special.
Our team of Dallas personal injury attorneys and legal professionals fully understand the rights of accident victims under Texas law. We have the resources and knowledge to make sure all of our clients obtain maximum compensation. If you’ve suffered a personal injury accident in Dallas, call us right now for your free consultation at (800) 898-4877, or you can contact us to submit your case for review. We will be here to help you every step of the way, so you can focus on your recovery from your injuries.
Why Choose Our Personal Injury Law Firm?
You may choose many different personal injury law firms who handle cases in or around Dallas. However, not all law firms know how to successfully handle your type of personal injury case.
Some injury firms simply try to settle each case as quickly as possible, which can result in a much smaller settlement than you truly deserve. Other firms may not have the resources or experience to fully investigate what happened in your accident and gather the evidence needed to prove the full extent of your damages. You don’t want to risk facing responsibility for medical costs and other losses because you didn’t hire a law firm that knew how to stand up for your rights.
Stewart J. Guss and his team of attorneys and legal professionals are committed to providing the highest quality of legal representation to every client. While we aggressively face off against insurance companies and negligent parties, we always treat our clients like family. You will receive the respect and attention your case needs for the best possible resolution. We have decades of experience behind us, which allows us to serve as dedicated and effective advocates for your rights.
Many accident victims put off calling a law firm because they are concerned about the cost of legal services. After all, if you’re looking at a stack of medical bills and other unpaid expenses while you’re not able to work, the last thing you need is another financial burden. The good news is that ANYONE can afford to hire the team of lawyers and legal professionals at Trust Guss Injury Lawyers.
Our firm handles personal injury cases on a contingency fee basis, which means that you don’t owe us anything until your case is settled. Consultations are always free, so please call our office to discuss how we can help and why you can afford to get representation from our firm.
Our firm is widely recognized in Dallas, throughout Texas, and even across the United States. Please contact us today to learn why our law firm is unique, and to discuss your legal rights and options.
Types of Dallas Personal Injury Claims We Handle
Personal injuries can result from many types of accidents. Different accidents require different legal expertise to obtain the best possible outcome, so your law team needs experience with similar situations to yours. Our injury attorneys and legal professionals commonly handle claims involving:
- Dallas Car Accidents
- Dallas Truck Accidents
- Dallas Motorcycle Accidents
- Dallas Bicycle Accidents
- Dallas Pedestrian Accidents
- Dallas Bus Accident Attorneys
- Dallas Drunk Driving Accidents
- Dallas Lyft Accidents
- Dallas Uber Accidents
Common Ways People Suffer Personal Injuries in Dallas
- Car accidents - Traffic in Dallas is never a pleasant experience, with many cars and trucks on the road at any hour of the day or night. You can read headlines about serious motor vehicle crashes in the city every day and these crashes often result in severe or even fatal injuries. Whether you are in a rear-end crash, a head-on collision, a single-vehicle accident, bus accident, uber accident, lyft accident, or any other type of crash, you can find yourself in the hospital with serious injuries. Many car accidents are caused by negligent parties, including dangerous drivers or car manufacturers that sell vehicles despite the dangers. Those parties should face responsibility for any damages you incurred.
- Truck accidents - Some of the most dangerous traffic accidents involve large commercial semi-trucks. Truck drivers and trucking companies can all make errors that cause huge trucks to crash into smaller vehicles, often causing devastating injuries and damage. Trucking companies work hard to keep costs low by avoiding liability, so you need the right hard-hitting team of attorneys and legal professionals on your side that can handle these often complicated truck accident claims.
- Pedestrian accidents - One minute, you’re walking on the sidewalk like any other day—and the next minute, you are heading to the hospital with severe traumatic injuries. Getting hit by a car as a pedestrian can result in catastrophic injuries, as well as mental trauma. We know how to hold distracted drivers, drivers who fail to yield, and any other negligent drivers liable for the pedestrian injuries they cause.
- Motorcycle accidents - Riding a motorcycle around Dallas can feel exhilarating, but it also puts you at risk of dangerous accidents. Motorcycles are difficult to see and many drivers may not pay enough attention to notice you on your motorcycle. A single driver can disrupt your entire life by leaving you injured or even permanently disabled. You need a law firm that knows how to seek the compensation you need after a motorcycle crash.
- Bicycle accidents - While Dallas has become more bike-friendly in recent years, motorists still regularly crash into bicycles throughout the metropolitan area. Not surprisingly, the bicyclist is more seriously injured after colliding with a car or truck. The injuries that cyclists sustain are often severe and can include broken bones, facial injuries, concussions, and even spinal cord injuries. In the most severe cases, injured bicyclists develop permanent disabilities that damage them every day of their lives. When the negligence of motorists causes these accidents, bicyclists can typically recover compensation, so victims need to speak with our team of legal professionals about their accidents as soon as possible.
- Slips, trips, and falls - Slip and fall accidents are among the most common causes of accidents in the Dallas area. While many people think of them as minor incidents, in reality, slips and falls can leave victims with serious injuries that may hurt them for years, including broken bones, traumatic brain injuries, and nerve damage. In cases where a slip and fall accident occurred on someone else’s property, victims may recover compensation for all of their accident-related losses. Whether victims are legally entitled to recover depends on the specific facts surrounding their cases, so always review your case with our team of attorneys and legal professionals after you fall and hurt yourself.
- Premises liability - In addition to slips and falls, many accidents can happen on another party’s property or at a business. Swimming pool accidents, hotel accidents, theme park accidents, and sports stadium accidents can all cause injuries. Texas law expects business and property owners to keep their premises safe for visitors and, if they don’t do so, we can take legal action on your behalf to hold them accountable.
- Construction worker accidents - It should surprise nobody that construction is a dangerous industry. Crews work near traffic, from heights, and with power tools and heavy machinery on a daily basis. Unfortunately, electrical accidents, falls, getting hit by objects, and other accidents are all too common on construction sites. If you suffer injuries on the worksite, Texas law may entitle you to significant compensation. Do’t wait to discuss your rights with a member of our team.
- Dangerous pharmaceuticals - Medications are supposed to help us—not hurt us further. Unfortunately, many large drug companies are more concerned with rolling out new products than taking the time to thoroughly and properly ensure that their pharmaceuticals are safe. Many drugs, therefore, can cause dangerous side effects and injuries to patients. If your medication or medical device caused you serious injuries, you need a law firm that is not afraid to take on large pharmaceutical companies on your behalf.
- Nursing home abuse - Nursing home abuse is an under-reported issue that hurts thousands of nursing home residents each year. It can include physical, emotional, or even financial abuse and loved ones of nursing home residents should make themselves aware of the signs of abuse and take immediate action if they suspect abuse or neglect.
Our Dallas Law Office Location
Stewart J. Guss, Injury Lawyers has a law office located at 1910 Pacific Avenue, Suite 6000, Dallas, TX 75201.
Dallas Accident Statistics
The Texas Department of Transportation (TXDOT) maintains reports of traffic-related accidents that occur throughout the state. According to the latest reports, Dallas County and the Dallas area reported the following accident statistics for 2022:
- 54,919 total vehicle crashes
- 16,559 unknown injuries and 1,816 suspected serious injuries
- 323 fatal accidents that killed a total of 355 people
What Types of Injuries Do People Suffer in Dallas Accidents?
Virtually any type of personal injury incident in Dallas can cause severe injuries. We take every injury seriously and understand that physical and mental injuries can require extensive medical treatments and cause substantial amounts of pain and suffering. The following are only some examples of injuries we’ve helped our clients with:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Soft tissue injuries
- Internal injuries
- Electrical injuries
- Fatal injuries
Each accident and injury is unique and we handle every claim as such. No matter what happened in your situation, never hesitate to give us a call and talk about the ways we may help.
What Should You Do if You Suffer an Injury in Dallas Due to Someone Else’s Negligence?
No one expects to suffer a personal injury, and when it happens, you must take action to protect your interests as best you can while at the scene. Follow these few simple steps if you are a victim of a personal injury accident.
1. Get Help
The first step you must take is to call for help. When you suffer injuries that affect your mobility or can be life-threatening, call 911 immediately. Request EMS and police assistance.
Personal injury victims may hesitate to call the police, but in most cases, it is helpful and necessary. The police will come to the scene and ensure you get the help you need and that no others are at risk of harm.
Get medical attention for your injuries as soon as possible, and follow up with all of your providers' recommendations for care and treatment. This will not only help your case but also increase the chance that you will make a full recovery.
2. Collect Any Evidence You Can
If possible, take a few quick moments while you wait for help to arrive to collect any evidence you can about the accident and your surroundings. If you can, take photographs of the accident scene, including the surrounding environment and anything that could contribute to your injuries.
3. Contact Our Dallas Personal Injury Lawyers Immediately
There is no time to waste after a personal injury accident. Once you receive medical treatment, call a Dallas personal injury attorney at Trust Guss Injury Lawyers, as soon as possible. We can discuss your case and legal options to recover compensation for your injuries.
Do I Have a Dallas Personal Injury Case?
Suffering an injury can happen to anyone. The CDC estimates that over 95 million visits to the ER each year in the U.S. are for treatment of an unintentional injury.
This is a staggering number of people that suffer injuries serious enough to warrant emergency medical attention. These accidental injuries can be due to various reasons and causes.
One common cause of injuries is negligence. When someone is negligent and harms another person, there are grounds for a personal injury case and recovery of damages.
Personal injuries occur any time an individual suffers harm because of the negligent, careless, or intentional actions of another party. When a personal injury takes place, the victim may be eligible to file a claim for damages or a lawsuit if they can prove the defendant's negligence caused their losses.
Who Can Be Held Liable in a Personal Injury Case?
The fault in a personal injury accident can be challenging to determine in many situations. Each personal injury case is distinctive for its own set of facts and events leading to the victim's harm. No one rule fits all circumstances or makes it clear when a party is at fault for harming another person.
Depending on the case, the duty of care and relationships between the parties will affect who is liable to a victim that sustains injuries and damages. It is possible that only one party is at fault, or multiple parties may be at fault for harming a victim. In cases with multiple at-fault parties, the parties may each need to pay a percentage of damages to the victim.
Your Dallas injury attorney will take a hard look at the evidence surrounding your accident to determine who could potentially be liable to you. In some situations, a victim may not realize that additional parties caused their injuries. Your lawyer will not only discover the liability of every party in your case but can also pursue damages against them.
Parties that may be liable in a personal injury accident include:
- A motor vehicle driver or operator of a vessel or recreational vehicle
- The owner of a vehicle or vessel
- An employer of the party that causes you harm
- An owner of a home, building, or property where an injury occurs
- A doctor or other healthcare professional that engages in malpractice
- A dog owner
- A business, government entity, or non-profit organization
- A manufacturer of a product that is defective or hazardous
Once they identify all liable parties, your attorney can file a claim on your behalf and fight for you each step of the way to increase your chances of obtaining a successful outcome.
What Compensation Can I Seek After a Dallas Personal Injury?
The damages for every personal injury case are different. Not every accident will involve the same damages.
To find out what damages you qualify for after a personal injury accident, a Dallas injury lawyer will work with you to go over each type of loss you experienced to calculate your legal damages. While a calculation of damages by your attorney does not guarantee the compensation you will receive in your case, it helps you and your lawyer negotiate a settlement with an insurance company. You'll know if a settlement will pay your bills or if you must go to trial to prove your case.
Personal injury accident damages can include:
- Medical costs - These are the expenses that relate to the care you seek through an emergency room, doctor, or healthcare provider for the treatment and recovery of your injuries. Even in cases where a victim doesn’t sustain severe and permanent injuries, these costs must include estimations and consideration for needed future medical expenses.
- Loss of income - It is common for a victim of an accident to take time to recover from their injuries after an accident. In many situations, this will affect the victim’s ability to work. Through a personal injury claim or lawsuit, a victim can seek reimbursement of their lost income and any impacts that may occur to their future earnings or potential earnings.
- Pain and suffering - While this is not an easily measurable loss, the law allows a victim to seek compensation for the physical and emotional pain they experience.
- Property damages - While the highest costs of personal injury cases are injury-related losses and expenses, it is also possible to recover the cost of property that was damaged or totally lost due to an accident. Victims can also recover costs such as car rental and other property expenses.
- Punitive damages - These damages are not common in most personal injury cases. However, when maliciousness, intentionally harmful, or egregious behavior by the defendant causes a victim’s injuries, a court can award these damages as punishment. Texas caps the maximum amount of punitive damages a court may enter against a defendant.
- Wrongful death - When a loved one loses their life in a personal injury accident, the surviving family may file a wrongful death action and request compensation for losses related to the victim’s death. These damages can include costs for the burial and funeral of the loved one and the loss of contributions they would have made to the family.
What is the Statute of Limitations for Dallas Personal Injury Cases?
In Texas, the victim of a personal injury accident must file a lawsuit in civil court within two years of the accident. If a plaintiff fails to file within the statute of limitations, the court will bar them from recovering their losses. The court will usually dismiss any case brought after this deadline.
How Much Does a Dallas Personal Injury Attorney Cost?
Like most personal injury attorneys, the lawyers at Trust Guss Injury Lawyers handle Dallas personal injury cases on a contingency fee basis. This means you won't have to pay any money upfront to represent you, and you don’t owe us anything until your case is settled. We also offer free consultations, so you can speak with an attorney to determine if you have a viable claim at no cost.
Please call our office to discuss your case and learn how we can help get the compensation you deserve.
How Long Will It Take to Settle My Dallas Personal Injury Claim?
The time it takes to settle a personal injury claim in Dallas, or anywhere else for that matter, can vary widely depending on several factors. The following information provides you with a general idea, but note that specific circumstances can significantly impact the timeline. Some factors that influence the time it takes to settle a personal injury claim include:
- Severity of Injuries: Claims involving more severe injuries may take longer to settle due to the need for extensive medical treatment and evaluation. This is because it's important to have a clear understanding of the long-term effects of the injuries before reaching a settlement.
- Complexity of the Case: If liability (who is at fault) is disputed or if there are multiple parties involved, the case might take longer to resolve as negotiations can be more intricate.
- Insurance Company Cooperation: The responsiveness and cooperation of the insurance company involved can impact the timeline. Some insurance companies might be more willing to negotiate and settle quickly, while others may be more resistant.
- Medical Treatment and Recovery: The time it takes for you to recover from your injuries and complete any necessary medical treatment can affect the timeline. It's generally recommended to wait until you've reached maximum medical improvement before settling, as this allows for a better assessment of the long-term impact of your injuries.
- Negotiation Process: Negotiations between your attorney and the insurance company can take time. It's important to ensure that you are being fairly compensated for your injuries, which might require back-and-forth negotiations.
- Legal Process: If the insurance company is not offering a fair settlement, your case might need to proceed to litigation, which can significantly extend the timeline.
- Documentation and Evidence: The time it takes to gather all the necessary documentation, including medical records, accident reports, and other evidence, can impact the timeline.
Given these factors, it's challenging to provide a specific timeframe for settling a personal injury claim in Dallas. Some claims might settle within a few months, while others could take a year or more. It's advisable to consult with an experienced Dallas personal injury attorney from Trust Guss Injury Lawyers who can evaluate your case, provide a more accurate estimate based on the specifics of your situation, and guide you through the process.
Can I Still Recover Damages If I Was Partially At Fault for the Dallas Accident?
Yes, in Texas, you may still be able to recover damages even if you were partially at fault for the accident. Texas follows a legal principle known as "comparative negligence" or "proportionate responsibility." Under comparative negligence rules, your ability to recover damages is determined by your degree of fault in the accident.
Texas uses a modified comparative negligence system with a 51% bar rule. This means that you can recover damages as long as you are found to be 50% or less at fault for the accident. However, the amount of damages you can recover will be reduced by the percentage of your own fault.
Here's an example to illustrate:
Let's say you were involved in a car accident in Dallas and the court determines that you were 20% at fault for the accident, while the other party was 80% at fault. If your total damages were $10,000, your recoverable damages would be reduced by your own fault percentage. In this case, you would be able to recover $8,000 ($10,000 - 20% of $10,000).
It's important to note that Texas follows the principle of "proportionate responsibility," which means that each party involved in the accident is responsible for their own percentage of fault. Even if you were partially at fault, you still have the right to seek compensation for your injuries and other damages from the other party who was also at fault.
To navigate these complexities and ensure you receive a fair assessment of fault and compensation, it's highly recommended to consult with an experienced personal injury attorney in Dallas from Trust Guss Injury Lawyers who can guide you through the legal process and protect your rights.
What Is the Personal Injury Claims Process in Dallas?
The personal injury claims process in Dallas typically involves several key steps. Keep in mind that each case is unique, and the timeline and specific details can vary based on the circumstances. Here's a general outline of the process:
- Seek Medical Attention: Your health and well-being are the top priority. Seek medical attention immediately after the accident, even if your injuries seem minor. Documenting your injuries and receiving treatment is crucial for your well-being and for establishing the extent of your injuries in your claim.
- Consult an Attorney: It's advisable to consult a personal injury attorney in Dallas who can provide legal guidance and assess the strength of your case. The attorneys at Trust Guss Injury Lawyers offer free initial consultations so you can get answers to all your questions at no cost.
- Investigation: Your attorney will investigate the accident, gather evidence (such as accident reports, photographs, witness statements, and medical records), and evaluate liability (who was at fault).
- Negotiations: When they file your claim with the insurance company, your attorney will submit a total dollar figure that includes all your injuries and losses, including future medical expenses. The insurance company will likely respond with a lower settlement offer, and negotiations will begin. Your attorney will work to secure a fair settlement that covers your damages, including medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
- Medical Evaluation: If your injuries are severe or long-term, your attorney might advise waiting until you've reached maximum medical improvement before finalizing the settlement. This ensures that all current and future medical costs are taken into account.
- Settlement: If a settlement is reached, you'll receive compensation for your damages. The settlement is usually documented in a release of liability agreement, which means you can't pursue further legal action for this particular accident.
- Litigation (If Necessary): If a fair settlement cannot be reached through negotiations, your attorney might recommend filing a lawsuit. This involves initiating a formal legal process, and both sides will present evidence and arguments. The case might go to trial, where a judge or jury will make a final decision on compensation.
- Resolution: If the case goes to trial, the court will determine the outcome. If a settlement is reached during litigation, the case will be resolved accordingly.
- Compensation: Once a settlement or court decision is finalized, you'll receive compensation for your damages as outlined in the agreement or court ruling.
Throughout this process, your attorney will guide you, negotiate on your behalf, and work to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive fair compensation for your injuries and losses. It's important to consult with an experienced Dallas personal injury attorney at Trust Guss Injury Lawyers to navigate this process effectively.
Be Careful Dealing with Insurance Companies
If you were seriously hurt in an accident, you will probably deal with an insurance company to recover compensation from the responsible party. Insurance company representatives have a way of making you feel like they are on your side and want to do everything they can to settle your case.
Don’t fall for it. Even if the insurance company concedes fault and liability on the part of its policyholder, the company will do EVERYTHING possible to minimize your payout. These are for-profit companies, and they stay profitable by employing strategies to pay less to injured people than they bring in from policyholders. Some of the tactics an insurance adjuster may try include:
- Making lowball offers before a victim has a chance to retain an attorney
- Requesting that victims give recorded statements regarding their version of events, hoping the victim will say something that hurts their cases
- Taking unreasonable amounts of time to “process” claims, hoping that victims will give up or accept lower offers just to get the process over with
These tactics can prove difficult to deal with—especially when you are severely injured, in pain, and uncertain about when or even if you can return to work. Fortunately, help is available.
The aggressive team of lawyers and legal professionals at Trust Guss Injury Lawyers, knows all of the insurance company’s tricks, and we are not about to play their games. We will fight for your right to recover compensation and gather important evidence that clearly demonstrates your losses—both economic and non-economic.
We have helped many personal injury victims seek compensation for:
- Medical expenses
- Lost income
- Lost quality of life
- Property damage
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering
We can determine an appropriate settlement amount in your case and do what it takes to make sure you recover full compensation for your losses. If the insurance company doesn’t pay the settlement you’re entitled to, we won’t hesitate to take your case to court. We’re skilled negotiators and aggressive litigators, and as our client, you can rest assured that we will do everything we can to obtain the best possible resolution for your case.
Will Your Case Settle With the Insurer or Will it Go to Court?
Nobody can predict the result of your case. However, most personal injury cases are successfully settled our of court.
In most cases, especially in those in which a victim is representated by a personal injury lawyer, an insurer has many reasons for wanting to settle a case before trial and will work with the lawyer to reach an agreement.
While most cases settle, a small portion of cases must go to trial to be resolved. If your case goes to trial, the court or a jury will decide whether the defendant is liable to you and, if so, what damages you recover. This most commonly occurs in cases where an insurer does not accept liability, disputes their percentage of liability, or continues to make settlement offers that do not account for the full extent of a victim’s damages.
It may also be necessary to file a lawsuit when an insurance claim is not possible, and the parties at fault are personally liable to the plaintiff for their losses. When you work with us, rest assured that if your case must go to court, one of our Dallas personal injury attorneys will fight vigorously for your rights and continue to protect your interests to get you the compensation you deserve.
Contact Our Dallas, Texas, Personal Injury Law Firm as Soon as Possible
The team of attorneys and legal professionals at Trust Guss Injury Lawyers, are nationally recognized for protecting the rights of injured victims for more than 20 years. We are confident in our ability to help the injured accident victims in Dallas. We bring experience, drive, compassion, and resources to the table in every case.
If you were injured in the Dallas area, call our office right now for your free consultation! Because we take all of our personal injury cases on a contingency fee basis, you will not owe us a DIME unless we win your case. We are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, so call us today at 800-898-4877 or contact us now by CLICKING HERE. There’s too much on the line to wait any longer.
See What Past Clients Have to Say
Review: 5/5 ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ "We received QUALITY service, reliable guidance and we are VERY satisfied with the outcome. Our treatment was both fair & honest; we highly recommend. If one word sums it up, the word would be Exceptional. “Thank you” for all you did!" -Jeri B.
Review: 5/5 ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ "Mr. Guss was wonderful. He fought hard against the insurance company to get us what we deserved." - Karley B.
You can read more client testimonials here.
Dallas Emergency Rooms
If you or a loved one suffered serious personal injuries in a Dallas accident someone else caused, get immediate medical treatment from one of the area's emergency rooms or urgent care centers:
- Medical City Dallas Hospital Emergency Room: 7777 Forest Ln, Dallas, TX 75230
- Highland Park Emergency Room: 5150 Lemmon Ave #108, Dallas, TX 75209
- Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas Emergency Room: 8200 Walnut Hill Ln, Dallas, TX 75231
- Lakewood Emergency Room: 6101 E Mockingbird Ln, Dallas, TX 75214
- Preston Hollow Emergency Room: 8007 Walnut Hill Ln, Dallas, TX 75231
- Emergency Room at Baylor University Medical Center: 3305 Worth St, Dallas, TX 75246
- Methodist Dallas Medical Center Emergency Room: 1441 N Beckley Ave, Dallas, TX 75203
- William P. Clements Jr. University Hospital Emergency Room: 6201 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX 75235
- Dallas County Courthouse: 600 Commerce St, Dallas, TX 75202
- George Allen Dallas County Civil Court: 600 Commerce St #621, Dallas, TX 75202
Neighborhoods We Serve in Dallas
Oak Lawn (75201, 75204, 75205, 75219, 75235), Dallas Downtown Historic District (75201, 75202, 75270), North Dallas (75206, 75209, 75220, 75225, 75229, 75230, 75231, 75238, 75240, 75243, 75244, 75248, 75251, 75252, 75254, 75287), Deep Ellum (75226), Uptown (75201, 75204), South Dallas (75215, 75210, 75227, 75217), Bishop Arts District (75208), L Streets (75238), West Dallas (75212, 75208, 75211), Victory Park (75201, 75202), Lake Highlands (75231, 75238, 75243), Lower Greenville (75204, 75205, 75206), Preston Hollow (75220, 75225, 75230), Oak Lawn (75201, 75204, 75205, 75219, 75235), Northeast Dallas (75214, 75246, 75230, 75227, 75251, 75225, 75243)