Check your auto insurance coverage!

Check your auto insurance coverage! As we start a new year, it seems like we are checking this, checking that and moving on with all sorts of projects and things we’ve put off. (I know I am.) Can I suggest one other thing to add to the list? (I promise, its fast an easy.) When you have a moment, please call your insurance agent and make sure you’ve got adequate auto insurance. The State of Texas only requires that you carry liability insurance. If your car is still being financed, you may also have comprehensive and collision which is used to repair or replace your car if it is damaged or stolen. In addition to these coverages, I always recommend that you also add the following coverages: Personal Injury Protection “PIP” and Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists Coverage. PIP coverage is typically seen at its minimum coverage amount of $2,500.00, but can be purchased at higher coverage levels, usually for a minimum increased cost. PIP will pay for your medical bills and lost wages in the event of a collision. UIM coverage is available from $25,000.00 per person / $50,000.00 per occurrence on up. If you are injured in an accident by someone who does not carry liability insurance, your UIM coverage will step into the place of that coverage, almost like “substitute” coverage. Likewise, if you sustain severe injuries and the person who caused the accident only has minimal coverage, your UIM policy can be “stacked” on top of the insurance of the person who hit you so as to afford you a greater pool of insurance coverage for your recovery. Many people do not have PIP and UIM, but I think that anyone who owns and operates a vehicle in this state should.