What Do I Do After a Houston Semi-Truck Accident?By Stewart J. Guss on September 5th, 2014
Any type of motor vehicle accident can be stressful and can cause serious injuries. The potential for substantial injury and damage only increases when an accident involves a large commercial vehicle, such as a semi-truck, or 18 wheeler. These trucks are much larger than regular passenger vehicles and may weigh in excess of 80,000 pounds. This increased weight, and the immutable laws of physics, makes truck accidents particularly dangerous for other motorists. Stopping distances are longer, and forces of impact are much higher. If you have suffered serious injuries in a semi-truck accident, you are likely entitled to substantial compensation.
What should I do after a semi-truck accident?
Following a semi-truck accident, you will likely and understandably be shaken up. Even though you may be stressed, it is very important to follow certain steps to increase your chances for financial recovery for your injuries and other. Actions you should take after a truck accident include the following:
- If you are able to remain at the scene of the accident, collect as much information as possible. Gather the names and contact information of all witnesses or other motorists involved in the collision and take down any identifying information you see on the truck trailer.
- Call the police, wait for them to arrive, and cooperate with their investigation.
- Take photos of the scene of the accident with your cell phone or other camera.
- Write down your recollection of the events of the accident as soon as possible afterward.
- Seek emergency medical treatment if necessary. Your health should be your first priority, so always follow the advice of emergency personnel if they believe you need immediate treatment or transport in an ambulance.
- Contact an experienced personal injury attorney to discuss a possible legal claim against the responsible party.
Contact a Houston Truck Accident Lawyer for a free consultation
At the law offices of Houston truck accident lawyer Stewart J. Guss, we are committed to helping all truck accident victims receive the full amount of compensation they deserve. Stewart has been helping victims of semi-truck accidents in Cypress, Spring, Tomball, The Woodlands, Katy and Houston for 20 years. If you have suffered serious injuries or other losses in an accident with a large semi-truck, we can help you hold the negligent party or parties responsible for your losses. Please call right now at 800-898-4877 for a free consultation. Remember, you pay nothing up front, and nothing at all unless we win your case.