Holiday Driving Safety Tips
It is that time of year again to load the family up and drive off for your holiday destinations. According to Valuepenguin Thanksgiving through New Year’s there have been 734 combined fatal car accidents between 2011 – 2015. With that in mind Stewart J. Guss Injury Accident Lawyers would like to share our Holiday Driving Tips.
Although we don’t receive a lot of snow here in Texas there are still many precautions that must considered when traveling at this time of the year. While the holidays are a time to relax and spend quality time with friends and family, it is important to remember that the roads can be dangerous, and we must be aware of our own actions and those of the other drivers around us. We want to ensure that this holiday season is filled with cheer and joy for you and your family but to make it through the holiday season safely. Below is a list of our recommended holiday driving safety tips.
Holiday Driving Safety Tips:
- Have your vehicle serviced and inspected by a trusted mechanic before leaving the driveway on your journey. Make sure that your vehicle is properly maintained. Have your mechanic check the lights, oil, tires and tire pressure, belts and hoses and the battery. Make sure that your vehicle is prepared for the conditions that you will be driving in prior to your tip.
- Don’t be a distracted driver by texting, drinking and driving and or driving without enough sleep. Also maintain a safe speed and distance from other cars around you on the road. Make sure you get plenty of rest the night before and remember to stop often for breaks on longer trips.
- Be prepared for any medical or mechanical emergencies that may arise unexpectedly by having a plan and an emergency kit. You should ensure that you have a flashlight, first aid kit, tools, water and blankets. These items may come in handy if you find yourself stranded in the middle of nowhere.
- Plan your route and make sure to follow the weather reports. If you are embarking on a family road trip it is better to plan and be prepared. Make sure to check the local traffic and weather reports. Keep a map and or GPS in case you must take an alternate route. Also, it is better to leave early to give yourself additional time if needed so you don’t feel rushed.
- In Texas you must remember to observe the state’s Move Over/Slow Down law. This law requires motorist to move or slow down when certain vehicles such as police, fire, EMS, Texas Department of Transportation vehicles and tow trucks are stopped on the side of the road with emergency lights activated. You must vacate the lane closest to the applicable vehicles stopped on the side of the road or slow down 20 mph below the speed limit. Remember to only move over if you can do so safely otherwise slowdown.
While not driving related, it’s still important to remember to secure your home when you leave. Also, do not post on social media sites that you are away. as possible robbers view this as an invitation to an empty house. Ask a relative or neighbor to check on the house.
Stewart J. Guss Injury Accident Lawyers is always here for you and there is NO cost to get a FREE consultation 24 hours a day 365 days a year. If you decide to hire us, you pay us nothing up front, and you will pay absolutely nothing at all unless we win your case.
If tragedy strikes for you or a loved one, Contact Us or call us at 1-800-898-4877.
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
“As a relatively new resident of Houston, I did not know of an attorney to contact for a personal injury suit. I randomly went through the yellow pages contacting two attorneys that had rejected my case prior to me contacting Stewart Guss. Stewart took my case on and settled for far more than I had anticipated. The silver lining of this is that I will now have enough money to go back to school for retraining, so I will be able to reenter the workforce in a new capacity. The paralegal, Angela, was kind and supportive throughout the process. If I did not understand the legal jargon, I did not hesitate to ask, and was never once made to feel that I was incompetent. Thank you Stewart and Angela for giving me a new lease on live.”
See more client testimonials here