Non-Economic Damages Available in Houston Trucking Accident CasesBy Stewart J. Guss on April 17th, 2017
Because of the large size and fast speeds of big box trucks, big rigs, and tractor trailers, accidents involving those types of vehicles can result in catastrophic personal injuries. If you have been injured as a result of a truck driver’s carelessness or negligence while operating a truck, big rig, or tractor trailer on a Texas highway or roadway, you may be entitled to monetary compensation under Texas Law.
Types of Non-Economic Recovery Available to Injured Houston Trucking Accident Victims
Economic damages are those personal injury damages that are easy to calculate. Such damages may include compensation for medical bills and lost wages that are causally related to the trucking accident.
Non-economic damages, however, are often subjective and more difficult to calculate in terms of dollars and cents. Since big rig and tractor trailer truck crashes can often result in serious, long-term personal injuries, the amount and extent of non-economic damages are likely to be very high in these cases. Some of the more common types of non-economic damages available to injured victims of trucking accidents include the following:
- Compensation for past, present, and future pain and suffering
- Compensation for mental anguish and emotional distress (e.g., diagnosed anxiety or post-traumatic stress disorder following the accident)
- Compensation for loss of earning capacity (i.e. when an accident victim must change careers as a result of injuries sustained in an accident or must stop working altogether)
- Compensation for loss of spousal support or consortium (e.g., loss of spousal intimacy as a result of injuries sustained in the accident)
- Costs of related psychological or psychiatric treatment
Contact a Houston Trucking Accident Attorney Today to Discuss Your Case
If you have been injured in a Houston trucking, tractor trailer, or big rig accident, you need experienced legal representation throughout your case. An experienced Houston truck crash attorney can negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf and help you to maximize the value of your case.