What to Do After a Houston Truck AccidentBy Stewart J. Guss on May 25th, 2018
Texas has the second-largest number of registered commercial trucks of all the states. No state but California even comes close to the almost 13 million semi-trucks and other commercial vehicles based in the Lone Star State. Commercial trucks are constantly traveling across Texas and through the heavily trafficked Houston area. This means that truck accidents happen on a regular basis—and they often cause SERIOUS injuries.
If you or someone you care about was injured in a Houston truck accident, you know the stress and disruptions it can bring to your life. The dedicated lawyers and legal professionals at Stewart J. Guss, Attorney at Law, represents truck accident victims and have gone toe-to-toe with stubborn and greedy commercial insurance companies for decades. We have the experience, knowledge, and tenacity to aggressively advocate for the compensation to which you are entitled. To set up your FREE consultation, please call (800) 898-4877 or as soon as possible.
First Things First
If you’re in a Houston truck accident, you’re no doubt overwhelmed—but if your injuries don’t prevent you from taking steps towards facilitating your best possible case outcome, focus on the following three steps:
Step 1 – Call 911
Always make safety your top priority! Calling 911 after a Houston truck accident is imperative, even if you don’t think you were injured, obtain immediate medical attention. The immense impact of a truck accident can cause tremendous injuries and some of which may develop with time. Early diagnosis is the best route to improved prognosis, so calling 911 is always in the best interests of your health and your truck accident claim.
Step 2 – Gather as Much Evidence at the Accident Scene as Possible
If you are injured in a truck accident, someone must gather evidence at the scene of the accident. If your injuries limit you from doing so yourself, enlist a bystander. Once you’ve contacted a Houston truck accident attorney, their legal team will immediately join your efforts to secure evidence at the scene. Until then, however, in the immediate aftermath of a truck accident:
- Use a smartphone to take pictures and videos of the accident from every angle. Don’t forget to get both wide-angle shots that depict the overall accident, and detailed shots that establish how the accident occurred and the damage the accident wrought.
- Obtain eyewitness testimony, which will help bolster your version of the accident. Don’t forget to also take down eyewitness contact information.
- As soon as you’re able, jot down your recollections of the accident with as much detail as you can muster. Truck accidents are so violent and overwhelming that your memories can quickly blur. A written account soon after the event will help you clarify exactly how the accident transpired and will provide your truck accident attorney with a guideline for how best to navigate your claim.
- In addition to your written description, include a sketch of the accident scene that establishes exactly where the accident took place, the directions you and the semi moved in, and where the physical damage is located. Don’t forget to include any mitigating circumstances that you believe may have played a role in your accident. This can include bad road conditions, inclement weather, damaged roadways, road construction, obstructions to a clear view of the road, inadequate or misleading signs, and anything else you think may matter to your case.
Step 3 – Contact an Experienced Houston Truck Accident Attorney
Truck accidents can result in chaos, terror, and exceedingly dangerous injuries. If you were in such an accident, you no doubt feel overwhelmed and unsure of where to turn for guidance—but an experienced Houston truck accident attorney will effectively and efficiently guide you through the process of navigating your claim toward its most positive resolution. Your rights and your rightful compensation matter. Your truck accident attorney will help protect both.
What NOT to Do
If you were injured in a Houston truck accident, obtaining evidence is elemental to the success of your claim, but just as you can help forward your claim, the following actions may hurt your chances of recovering compensation:
- Don’t make a statement – Truck accidents are incredibly upsetting, and it is human nature to apologize after an accident—even if the accident is not your fault. Resist this urge. The other party can later misconstrue your post-accident apologies as admissions of guilt. The scene of an accident is not the time to get chatty—save your story for your truck accident attorney. If officials, such as the police, EMS personnel or firefighters, on the scene enquire, answer the exact questions asked of you as truthfully and accurately as possible. Let your experienced attorney handle the rest.
- Don’t let anyone intimidate you – Trucking companies are in the business of keeping their trucks on the road. The trucking industry runs on tight schedules that increase profits but also exacerbate accident rates. They’re adept at abrupt handling of cases when one of their rigs is in an accident. Don’t feel intimidated by their tactics—you don’t have to speak to their insurance representative or to their attorney, and you’re well advised not to do so. If you were injured in a truck accident due to the negligence of either a truck driver or a trucking company, leave the heavy lifting to your experienced truck accident lawyer.
- Don’t accept their word for it – The trucking industry deals with thousands of accidents, and they employ plenty of muscle to make those accident claims go away as quickly as possible. The chaotic nature of truck accidents may leave victims in a disoriented daze, which can make signing a swiftly offered “fair settlement” appealing in the moment. After all, you’re probably looking forward to putting the whole thing behind you as quickly as you can. Truck accidents, however, are so injurious that it is CRITICAL to your recovery to obtain complete and fair compensation. Don’t accept a settlement that won’t cover the costs of your injuries. NEVER accept a truck accident settlement before you consult with your truck accident lawyer.
Did a Truck Accident Injure You? Then You Need an Experienced Houston Truck Accident Attorney!
If a big rig accident left you injured, the skilled truck accident attorneys at Stewart J. Guss, Attorney at law are here to help!
Though no amount of money can turn back time and return you to your pre-accident self, just and fair compensation can facilitate your journey on the road to physical and emotional recovery. Our nationally recognized legal team has aggressively advocated for the rights and rightful compensation of truck accident victims for decades, and we have what it takes to help guide your claim toward its most positive resolution. If you were injured in a semi accident, or call us at 800-898-4877 today.