Atlanta Slip and Fall Attorney
Assisting Slip and Fall Victims in Atlanta with Recovering Monetary Compensation for Their Personal Injuries
As one of the most popular tourist destinations in the southeastern U.S., there’s never a shortage of things to do and places to visit in Atlanta. We have destinations like Centennial Olympic Park to the World of Coca-Cola, our Atlanta Falcons and Braves bring out tens of thousands, and Six Flags Over Georgia provides plenty of summer thrills. We have all the shopping you could want, including six Home Depots and ten Walmart locations in the Atlanta area.
Whether you’re coming from out of town or you’re a proud resident of Georgia’s capital city, you have the right to expect that the owners or managers of the private, commercial, and public places you visit in Atlanta will make their property safe for guests.
Unfortunately, this isn’t always the case.
If you were injured due to a slip and fall accident caused by a dangerous property condition in Atlanta, we don’t need to tell you about the physical, emotional, and financial burden being injured can be! What we can tell you, however, is that the law allows you to recover damages related to your slip and fall accident. At Stewart J Guss, Injury Accident Lawyers, our Atlanta slip and fall attorneys devote their careers to ensuring that our neighbors injured through the negligence of another party receive the justice they deserve.
We are a national law firm with multiple offices around the country, including Atlanta. We also work with affiliate law firms in most states that share our focus and dedication to excellence. No matter where you are located, we may be able to help you, so call or contact us now. We are open, for FREE, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, at 800-898-4877, or you may contact us now by CLICKING HERE to submit your case for review.
What Is a Slip and Fall Accident?
Slip and fall accidents are the most common type of premises liability claim. Premises liability falls within the umbrella of personal injury law and pertains to the responsibility that private, commercial, and public property owners have to ensure that their property is free from hazards that can cause injury to guests. A lot of people regard slip and fall accidents as minor, and suggest that lawsuits from plaintiffs seeking to recover damages are “frivolous.”
This simply isn’t true! Slip and fall accidents can and do cause serious injuries.
Consider these statistics from the National Floor Safety Institute:
- Slip and fall accidents result in more than a million visits to U.S. emergency departments each year.
- 5% of slip and fall accidents will result in bone fractures. One of the most serious fracture injuries to occur is a broken hip. Hip fractures are particularly serious for individuals aged 65 and over.
- For people over the age of 65, falls account for 87% of all bone fractures.
- Falls are the second leading cause of spinal cord and brain injuries.
- 22% of slip and fall accidents lead to the victim missing at least 31 days of work.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
The Consumer Product Safety Commission estimates that around 2 million falls each year are caused by floors and flooring materials.
Some of the flooring problems that can lead to injury include:
- Floors that are wet, soiled, or freshly waxed
- Clutter or debris in walkways
- Loose floorboards or torn carpeting
Other potential causes of slip and fall accidents include:
- Improperly-designed or poorly-maintained stairways
- Broken or missing handrails
- Poor lighting, particularly in stairwells
- Electrical cords or cabinet drawers that encroach on walkways
- Cracked or damaged sidewalks or paths
- Potholes in parking lots
As slip and fall attorneys, we see these accidents in sports stadiums, theme parks, schools, and retail stores like Walmart. In fact, we have plenty of experience dealing with slips and falls at Walmart alone.
Injuries Associated With Slip and Falls
As previously mentioned, hip fractures are among the most serious types of bone fractures and commonly take place because of slip and fall accidents. This is a particularly serious issue for elderly Atlantans, as half of all individuals over the age of 65 who have suffered a hip fracture can’t live independently or return home after the fracture. Around 15,000 elderly people die each year as a result of falls, with hip fractures being the greatest cause of injury-related health problems and death!
Some of the other types of injuries that can be suffered in a slip and fall accident include:
- Traumatic brain injuries: This type of injury is caused by a sudden blow or jolt to the head or body. The brain is an extremely complex organ that controls all of the body’s voluntary and involuntary responses. Because the brain has only a limited ability to heal the damage caused by an injury, a traumatic brain injury often hinder an individual’s ability to communicate, remember, control emotions or behavior, or move in a coordinated manner. This type of injury isn’t cheap either—it comes with estimated lifetime medical costs of $85,000 to $3 million. Many of these costs are associated with the complications that occur after the injury, including seizures, chronic pain, consciousness disorders, and an increased likelihood of infections.
- Spinal cord injuries: While the brain is the communication center for the body, the spinal cord is the messenger that relays impulses from the brain to all other parts of the body. Extending from the base of the skull to the lower back, the spinal cord is vulnerable and can never fully recover from damage. This often results in a loss of sensation or function in the body below the site of the injury – a condition known as paralysis. Injuries occurring to the lower part of the spine will often result in paralysis to the pelvis, hips, legs, and feet. This is known as paraplegia. Injuries occurring in the spinal cord in the neck area or upper back can result in paralysis to the chest, torso, shoulders, arms, hands, hips, pelvis, legs, and feet. This is often referred to as quadriplegia or tetraplegia.
- Other bone fractures: In addition to the hip, other bones can be broken due to a slip and fall accident, including arms, legs, hands, wrists, or ankles. The vertebra in the spine can also be fractured as a result of this type of accident. A common bone fracture from falls involves the wrists, as the body has an instinct to “catch” itself with outstretched arms when falling.
- Soft tissue injuries: Slip and fall accidents can cause damage to muscles, joints, tendons, and even the spinal discs. This type of injury can lead to a need for surgery, missed time from work, and even permanent effects such as chronic pain or loss of mobility in the affected area.
Injured in an Atlanta Slip and Fall Accident?
If you have suffered a slip and fall accident due to a dangerous property condition at a private residence, commercial business, or public building in Atlanta, it’s important to know your rights. You can recover damages through a slip and fall lawsuit.
A slip and fall lawsuit is a legal claim filed in civil court. Claimants in slip and fall cases can file their claim within two years of the date of the accident, although the timeline is shorter for claims against municipal, state, or federal agencies. (Yes, you can file a lawsuit against a government agency.) We can advise you of the deadlines involved in cases against the government.
How Can You Help Me Prove My Slip and Fall Case?
In order to obtain a successful outcome in your slip and fall case, you must prove that the Atlanta property owner is liable for your injuries.
Lawyers like us establish liability by proving:
- The property owner or manager owed you a duty of care to ensure his or her property was free of hazards that could cause injuries to guests.
- There was a breach in this duty of care. For example, a hazard existed that the property owner or manager knew about or reasonably should have known about, and they failed to repair it or warn guests about it through the prominent placement of a warning sign.
- This breach caused your slip and fall accident, which resulted in your injury and subsequent expenses and life impacts.
What Damages Can I Recover in a Slip and Fall Lawsuit?
Georgia allows the recovery of both economic and non-economic damages arising from accidents caused by someone else’s careless or reckless actions. Economic damages refer to the out-of-pocket expenses you have incurred as a result of your injury.
The economic damages you can recover after your slip and fall accident include:
- All necessary medical expenses, including emergency treatment at the scene or in an Atlanta emergency department, transport to the hospital via ambulance or medical aircraft, diagnostic testing, hospitalization, physician and surgical services, prescription medication, the provision of mobility assistance such as crutches or a wheelchair, physical therapy, and rehabilitation. Many injuries that are suffered in slip and fall accidents are capable of producing complications even years after the injury occurred. You can recover the estimated costs of future medical treatment resulting from your injury as well.
- Lost wages resulting from being too injured to work or missing work to attend an injury-related medical appointment.
- Transportation to and from your medical appointments, including the cost of parking.
- The cost of hiring someone to perform household services or child care that you normally would have performed yourself but cannot do so because of your injury.
- Loss of future earning capacity. Slip and fall accidents can result in permanent injuries! These injuries can force you to take a lower-paying job that is easier for you to do with your disability. They can even result in your inability to return to any sort of gainful employment.
Non-economic damages refer to the mental and emotional impacts that your injury has had on your life.
Some examples of common non-economic damages that are recovered by slip and fall claimants include:
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of the enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium, which is damage recovered on behalf of the injured person’s spouse for loss of physical intimacy and companionship suffered as a result of the severity of the claimant’s injuries.
What Can a Slip and Fall Attorney Do for Me?
After suffering a slip and fall accident, many people are tempted to “go it alone” with their slip and fall claim.
The reasons for this decision are varied, but some of the more common reasons people give for not hiring a slip and fall attorney to help them recover damages related to their injury include:
- They think they cannot afford a lawyer’s services because they are unaware lawyers work on contingency.
- They were offered a quick settlement by the property owner’s insurance company.
- They feel like they can handle the case on their own.
- They don’t feel like their injuries are serious enough to pursue the recovery of damages.
If you’re thinking of brushing off your injury or trying to pursue a claim on your own: don’t do it. You could miss out on the bulk of the damages that are owed to you or could even lose out entirely on collecting damages.
Here are a few facts about hiring an Atlanta slip and fall attorney to guide you in your slip and fall case:
- Slip and fall attorneys often provide free case evaluations for potential clients, and they generally work on a contingent fee basis, which means they do not get paid for their services until there is a successful outcome in your case. What this means is that you can go over your legal options with an experienced slip and fall attorney FOR FREE and your attorney will begin working on your case without you having to pay any attorney fees upfront.
- Accepting a quick settlement offer is almost always a mistake! Insurance companies are in the business to make money. One of the ways they do this is by avoiding large payouts for injuries caused by their insured. They will offer a quick settlement to “make the case go away.” The problem with these quick settlement offers is that they do not take into consideration the full picture of the injuries suffered. Will you have permanent disabilities or ongoing medical needs due to your injury? Can you return to work? Will you have extraordinary impacts on your day-to-day life? Shortly after the accident, there is no way for the insurance company or anyone else to know the answers to those questions. Only time will tell. Insurance companies offer token settlements and often the victim of the accident is lured into accepting that offer on the promise of quick money. However, when the settlement is not enough to cover the victim’s expenses, the insurance company is off the hook and the victim is left paying for the damages caused by the accident on their own.
- Slip and fall cases are often complex. There are deadlines and court formalities that must be adhered to. There is evidence that needs to be collected and witnesses that need to be deposed. You could miss any number of requirements if you are unaware of how the process works, destroying your chance of recovering damages. A slip and fall attorney has spent years honing their skills and preparing to provide clients with the best outcome possible.
- If you don’t have a case, the attorney who provides your free case evaluation will tell you that. Simply assuming that you don’t have a case is leaving money on the table—money you need to pay for your expenses during recovery.
Call Our Atlanta Slip and Fall Attorneys Today
Let our team of dedicated Atlanta slip and fall attorneys at Stewart J Guss, Injury Accident Lawyers help you understand your legal options after your slip and fall accident.
The legal team of Stewart J Guss, Injury Accident Lawyers, is nationally recognized for protecting the rights of injured victims for more than 20 years. If you slipped and fell in Atlanta due to someone else’s negligence, call our office right now for a free consultation! Because we take all of our personal injury cases on a contingency fee basis, you will not owe us a DIME unless we win your case. We are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, so call us today at 800-898-4877 or contact us now by CLICKING HERE.
See what past clients have to say:
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
“We received QUALITY service, reliable guidance and we are VERY satisfied with the outcome. Our treatment was both fair & honest; we highly recommend. If one word sums it up, the word would be Exceptional. “Thank you” for all you did!”