Accidents happen. It’s a fact of life. But when they leave you or your loved ones injured, where do you turn for help?
Statistics from the Centers for Disease Control show that each year, 30,800,000 people in the United States end up in the emergency room for accidental injuries. This means that about 10% of our country’s population gets accidentally injured each year, to the extent that they need emergency medical care.
With stats like these, it’s only a matter of time before you or someone in your family is involved in an accident.
If you get injured in Texas, know where to turn and who to call.
The skilled Texas personal injury attorneys at Stewart J. Guss, Injury Accident Lawyers are here for you. When you reach out, we’ll explain your rights and your options, and evaluate your case for free. As a highly respected and nationally recognized personal injury law firm, we are whole-heartedly committed to getting the results our clients deserve.
Our experts are ready to listen 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so don’t wait a moment longer.
Call 800-898-4877 or CLICK HERE to contact us online.
Since establishing our headquarters in Houston, Texas in 1999, our firm has grown to numerous locations across the country, including hubs in Dallas, New Orleans, Los Angeles, and Atlanta. Along the way, we’ve built a trusted network of partners throughout all 50 states who share our values and our commitment to excellence.
**No matter where you are, it’s our mission to insure that you have the finest representation for your case.**
Reach out now to learn more about how we can help.
Each Texas Personal Injury Case is Different
They say in Texas, everything is bigger. We know you hope your injury settlement amount is, too.
Each Texas personal injury case is different… and each Texas personal injury attorney is, too.
Some firms apply the same strategy to every case they take. At Stewart J. Guss, Injury Accident Lawyers, you’re more than just a number. You’re family. We treat you with the respect, compassion, and empathy you deserve. We investigate the unique circumstances of your case and leave no stone unturned in our pursuit of justice. We will never push you to settle for less than what you deserve.
With over 20 years of experience handling a wide variety of personal injury claims in Texas and across the nation, we’re ready to assist you. Claims we regularly handle involve the following:
- Car accidents
- Drunk driving accidents
- 18-wheeler accidents
- Construction worker accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Slip and falls
- Trip and falls
- Premises liability
The legal questions and strategies will differ from case to case depending on the type of accident that happened. The types of negligent parties can vary as well but may include:
- Individuals – After a car accident with injured victims, another driver is often found to be at fault. Individuals can be responsible for many traffic accidents, as well as dog bites and injuries that occur on another person’s property. These claims often involve dealing with a consumer insurance company.
- Companies – Sometimes the liable party is not an individual, but a business. Companies of all sizes can be found negligent and cause injuries. Companies can also be liable for injuries caused by poorly-trained employees on the job. Some injury victims need to file a claim against a small business, while other clients must take on large, billion-dollar corporations such as Walmart or large pharma companies.
- Government agencies – Federal, state, and local government agencies exist to keep us safe and maintain our roads and cities across The Lone Star State. When these agencies don’t do their jobs, people can get hurt. These accidents can involve poorly-maintained roads or public spaces, improper signage, hazardous construction zones, and more. Like any other company, government entities should be liable for your losses when they cause your injuries.
Going up against an individual is completely different than squaring up to a huge company. Plus, there are special laws, deadlines, and requirements for claims against the government that most people don’t realize.
Sound confusing? It is. That’s why we’ve made it our lifelong mission to simplify the process for you during your time of need. You deserve the support and guidance of an experienced, fearless, aggressive law firm to take on even the most intimidating opponents—and Stewart J. Guss, Injury Accident Lawyers is that law firm!
We’ve seen it all, and we know the secrets, tricks, and tactics different insurance companies use to try to take advantage of injury victims. How? Because we’ve handled claims against all these major insurance companies.
Insurers may try to convince you that you don’t need an attorney, but this is only because they know that unrepresented accident victims regularly accept settlements that are far too low. When you have the Texas right personal injury lawyer in your corner, insurers know that their usual tricks won’t work because we are not afraid to play hardball. We will never back down. Consult with a member of our team today to learn more about a possible case. Your case evaluation is absolutely free.
Fighting for the Money You Deserve
The losses from an accidental injury can be devastating for you and your family.
Having the right representation is critical.
Whether you have a broken arm or a debilitating spinal cord injury, your bills add up quickly and your life is thrown off course.
How much money can you expect from a Texas personal injury claim?
The value of each personal injury claim closely depends on the severity of your injuries and the accident’s lasting effects. Our Texas personal injury attorneys can help you seek compensation for the following damages:
- Medical bills – Your lawyer can calculate the costs of any treatment you already received, as well as the estimated costs of any future care and therapy you may need.
- Lost income – Many injuries prevent you from working for a time while you recover or during your treatment. Other catastrophic injuries can cause disabilities that prevent you from ever returning to the same job again. We seek compensation for both past lost wages and future lost earning power.
- Property damage – If your car was damaged in a motor vehicle accident, or your belongings were lost in another type of accident, you can be compensated for their repair or replacement.
- Pain and suffering – Any type of injury can cause physical pain, but many cause mental torment as well. Living with the pain and limitations of a traumatic injury can result in mental and emotional suffering. You deserve compensation. Don’t let manipulative insurance companies invalidate your feelings or dismiss your anguish as unimportant.
- Permanent disability – After certain injuries, your life will never be the same due to permanent impairments or disfigurement. Disabilities can limit your ability to work, engage in activities you’ve long enjoyed, or care for yourself and your family.
Whether you’re worried about a few medical bills or a lifetime of ongoing expenses, you can find the help you need from our Texas personal injury attorneys.
Texas Personal Injury FAQ
You’ve been hurt in an accident due to someone else’s carelessness. Now what?
Like many personal injury victims before you, you probably have a lot of questions swimming in your mind. For answers and advice, contact our team of experienced Texas personal injury attorneys as soon as possible.
Here, however, you will find general answers to some of the most common questions asked by personal injury victims our firm has represented in Texas.
1. When do I have grounds for a Texas personal injury claim?
You have grounds for a personal injury claim whenever someone else’s negligence causes you to suffer an injury. It’s your attorney’s job to prove the following:
- The liable party bore a duty of care to you when you suffered your injury. A “duty of care” is any responsibility the liable party bore to you, or to the general public, at the time of the accident. For example, when you visit a business, that business has a duty of care to provide a safe shopping experience for you and all other customers.
- The liable party failed in that duty of care. For example, while shopping at a local retailer, you slipped and fell down a slippery set of stairs. Those stairs had no handrail and no warning. The store, therefore, failed in its duty of care to you!
- The other party’s negligence resulted in your injuries. To file a personal injury claim, you’ll need to prove that you suffered injuries due to the other party’s negligence. If you walked right on past those stairs and never fell down them, but just noticed a big liquid spill on the stairs, you do not have grounds for a personal injury claim (although as a good citizen you should probably notify someone about the spill!) On the other hand, if you slipped and fell on that puddle because you did not notice it and suffered injuries – like a broken bone, a traumatic brain injury, or a hip injury – you have grounds for a personal injury claim.
2. When do I need a Texas personal injury attorney to help me with a personal injury claim?
Did you suffer an accident due to someone else’s negligence? Did you suffer injuries in that accident?
If so, you need an attorney to help you with your personal injury claim.
An attorney will build your claim, including everything from putting together a demand package to taking your claim to court, if needed. A personal injury attorney can also:
- Help you understand how much compensation you deserve for your injuries. Following an accident, you may have no idea how much you deserve in compensation for your injuries. Bills are piling up fast and you have no clue where to start or how to keep track of it all. What other factors play into the compensation you can receive? An attorney can help you assess all the elements of your claim to quantify your pain and understand how much you deserve.
- Negotiate on your behalf. You’re probably mentally and physically exhausted from juggling appointments with your doctor, therapies, work accommodations, and more – you don’t need to deal with extra stress! Your attorney can ensure that when it comes to your personal injury claim, you don’t have to worry about a thing. They will ensure all the details are taken care of.
- Fight for you in court. Grappling with insurance companies can be a long and drawn-out process. You might reach an agreement with the liable party in negotiations, or you might reach an agreement in mediation. Or… you might not. An attorney can help you if you decide to go to court with your claim. They can fight to maximize your compensation every step of the way.
- Collect vital evidence. The liable party may attempt to prove that you caused your own accident or that your injuries are not as bad as you claim. This gets even more complicated when more than one party might have caused your accident (but if you can identify all parties, you can often increase the compensation you receive).
Our Texas personal injury attorneys can help collect important evidence, including:
- Reviewing video footage
- Checking out the scene of the accident
- Talking to witnesses
- Bringing in experts to help evaluate the accident and your injuries
If you suffered injuries due to another party’s negligence, do not attempt to handle your claim on your own! Instead, speak with our experienced Texas personal injury lawyers about your claim.
3. What if the liable party or their insurance offered me a settlement immediately? Do I still need a Texas personal injury attorney?
If you got a quick settlement offer from the insurance company that covers the liable party – or from the liable party themselves – you probably need an attorney even more in order to make the right decision. Why? In many cases, the insurance company will attempt to minimize the compensation it offers you. The insurance company will try to trick you into accepting a low settlement offer.
If you accept their offer, you can no longer go after the liable party or the insurance company for further funds—even if your medical and physical therapy bills keep pouring in and greatly exceed your settlement amount in the long run.
Talk to our Texas personal injury lawyers before accepting any offer. A lawyer can give you a better idea of what you really deserve for your injuries. Many attorneys offer free consultations where you can learn more about your legal rights after an accident before you decide what to do about your claim. When you reach out to an attorney, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain! So do not accept an offer, either verbally or in writing, without talking with our Texas personal injury lawyers.
4. How much compensation do I deserve from a Texas personal injury claim anyway?
It’s hard to put a price tag on someone’s pain. Texas law does not provide a set amount of money for a personal injury claim, but the funds you could ultimately receive depend on:
- What medical expenses did you face as a result of your injuries? Serious injuries mean serious medical bills. You can ask for compensation for these medical bills as part of their personal injury claim. Keep track of them all! You may have numerous bills that arrive in the mail—and in some cases, more than one bill for a single procedure. You may also include expenses that occurred outside the hospital, but that still relate to your injuries, such as modifying your home to accommodate a wheelchair after a spinal cord injury.
- How much time did you have to miss at work due to your accident? Your injuries may make it impossible for you to return to work. Some victims have employers who work with them to help them return to work as soon as possible. Others don’t. Even if your employer will offer accommodations to help get you back to work, you may still end up spending time resting at home, especially in the days immediately after your accident. Unfortunately, those lost wages arrive at the worst time: when your bills are growing rapidly. Payment for lost wages can help you handle your expenses and keep your finances stable after an accident.
- How do your injuries impact your life? Mental and emotional damage is valid. That’s why most personal injury claims include compensation for pain and suffering as well as for the tangible financixfal losses the victim suffered in the accident. Pain and suffering includes the physical pain caused by your injuries, but may also include things like social isolation or inability to participate in activities you usually enjoy. An attorney can help give you a better idea of how to include pain and suffering in your claim.
- Who caused your accident? Many entities carry insurance designed to protect individuals injured by that entity. Drivers, for example, carry auto insurance. Minimum auto insurance coverage in Texas provides up to $30,000 in compensation for injuries suffered in any accident the driver causes. Other entities like commercial drivers, businesses, construction companies, and property owners carry other types of liability insurance. Many victims find that insurance policy limits are the full amount of compensation they receive after an accident, especially if they suffer serious injuries. Burn victims, for example, may have incredibly high medical bills, especially if they face complications during their recovery, but many insurance policies do not offer adequate compensation for this type of injury.
5. How much does a Texas personal injury lawyer cost?
You suffered serious injuries in an accident, and you know an attorney can help, but you’re thinking about the price tag and wondering how you can possibly afford it.
Many people think lawyers cost a fortune. You imagine legal costs increasing during the struggle, until they drain all the compensation you could receive for your injuries.
An attorney may sound like a big investment, but they are well worth it. Working with an attorney can substantially increase the compensation you receive for your accident. Their goal is the same as your goal: landing you a huge settlement.
Many of our clients discover when they work with us, they end up with a lot more money in their pockets than the insurance company would’ve given them if they had pursued their claim alone – even after they pay their legal fees!
Even better, our Texas personal injury attorneys accept cases on a contingency fee basis. This means the at-fault party will pay your legal fees as a percentage of your settlement or judgment. You will pay nothing.
Still not convinced? Start with a free consultation. This is a free, no-risk, no-obligation look at what our legal counsel can really offer you after your accident. Our successful track record speaks for itself!
6. Will I have to go to court to get compensation for my injuries?
Most Texas personal injury claims settle out of court. Going to court can substantially increase costs for both sides, and many insurance companies want to avoid that. But sometimes going to court ends up being the best option, especially if you are dealing with a stubborn insurance company that fails to offer the compensation you need for your injuries.
With our Texas personal injury attorneys on your side, you will have support through every step of the process. This includes helping you decide when to accept a settlement offer and when to continue fighting for further compensation.
7. Do I have to talk to the insurance company’s representative?
You may, over the course of your claim, need to submit a statement about the accident and answer some key questions about your injuries. You should not, however, talk to the insurance company’s representatives without first consulting our Texas personal injury lawyers. We can take over those negotiations for you, helping you with any statements or depositions you need to make and protecting your rights along the way.
8. How long do I have to file a personal injury claim in Texas?
You have until the statute of limitations runs out. The Texas statute of limitations for a personal injury claim is generally two years from the date of the incident. Two years may seem like a long time to you, but the clock is ticking! Ideally, you want to get the ball rolling on your claim as soon as possible. The sooner you get in touch with an attorney, the sooner that attorney can start collecting vital evidence pertaining to your claim – including evidence that might indicate who was responsible for your accident. Witness statements often prove clearer and more accurate immediately after the accident, since memories fade quickly with time.
At the same time, however, our Texas personal injury lawyers may not want to file your claim immediately. Before filing, our team may need to conduct a full investigation to find all liable parties. We will also need to get an idea of what your healing journey will look like and how your accident will continue to affect your life. We can then give you a better idea of what the process will look like in the case of your specific injuries.
Don’t Delay – Call Our Dedicated Texas Personal Injury Lawyers Right Away
The legal team of Stewart J. Guss, Injury Accident Lawyers, is nationally recognized for protecting the rights of injured victims for over two decades. If you suffered an injury due to someone else’s negligence, call our office right now to schedule a free consultation!
At the law office of Stewart J. Guss, our client-focused philosophy means we put your needs first. We are committed to doing everything within our power to get you the compensation you deserve.
We take all our personal injury cases on a contingency fee basis, meaning you will not owe us anything unless we win your case.
To learn more about how we can help you, call us now at 800-898-4877 or CLICK HERE to contact us online.
We’re open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, with a team of experts standing by.
Don’t take chances when it comes to your legal rights.
Let us help you get your life back.
See what past clients have to say:
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
“As a relatively new resident of Houston, I did not know of an attorney to contact for a personal injury suit. I randomly went through the yellow pages contacting two attorneys that had rejected my case prior to me contacting Stewart Guss. Stewart took my case on and settled for far more than I had anticipated. The silver lining of this is that I will now have enough money to go back to school for retraining, so I will be able to reenter the workforce in a new capacity. The paralegal, Angela, was kind and supportive throughout the process. If I did not understand the legal jargon, I did not hesitate to ask, and was never once made to feel that I was incompetent. Thank you Stewart and Angela for giving me a new lease on live.”
See more client testimonials here