What to Do If You Are Struck by A Careless Driver
One thing never changes: when drivers don’t pay attention, the results are tragic. Add vulnerable pedestrians to the mix, and driver negligence can cause serious injury, paralysis, or even death.
The United States Department of Transportation reveals that pedestrian accidents are shockingly common. In one recent year, a pedestrian was killed in a traffic accident once every 88 minutes in our country. Non-fatal injuries occurred even more frequently.
Looking out for pedestrians – not just other cars sharing the road – is the responsibility of anyone who gets behind the wheel.
If you or a loved one was in an auto-pedestrian accident, you may have questions about what to do next. You may not even know where to start. Help is here: our Houston pedestrian accident attorneys are proud to offer FREE consultations, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Since establishing our headquarters in Houston, Texas in 1999, our firm has grown to numerous locations across the country, including hubs in Dallas, New Orleans, Los Angeles, and Atlanta. Along the way, we’ve built a trusted network of partners throughout all 50 states who share our values and our commitment to excellence.
**No matter where you are, it’s our mission to insure that you have the finest representation for your case.**
Reach out now to learn more about how we can help.
Should you decide to hire us, you pay nothing upfront, and nothing at all unless and until we’ve won your case.
Texas Pedestrian Related Injuries and Crashes in 2018
Pedestrian Accident FAQ
When a car hits a pedestrian, who is at fault?
Drivers could be breezing through stop signs, texting, not looking both ways at an intersection, or making a variety of other blunders. Likewise, pedestrian conduct comes into play. Things like jaywalking, public intoxication or other reckless behaviors could place a pedestrian partially at fault for an accident. To determine who is at fault in a pedestrian accident, legal experts must assess the unique circumstances of each accident. While all parties share accountability, the greater duty of care typically – but not always – lies with the driver. A car accident attorney can help you determine liability during this confusing time.
How long does it take to get compensation after a pedestrian car accident?
The time it talks to settle a pedestrian accident claim will vary. Sometimes, fault can be clearly determined at the scene, and no one puts up a fight. More complex cases may involve months of investigation by legal experts from all sides. Do not rush your settlement process – trust that your attorney will negotiate the maximum compensation for you after your accident.
How much can I expect from my pedestrian accident claim?
Pedestrian car accident settlement amounts will vary depending on the context and the injuries and other losses a victim has suffered. Your pedestrian accident lawyer will negotiate with insurance companies in order to obtain a fair settlement for you.
What should I do after a pedestrian accident?
Call 911. Plain and simple. Injuries in pedestrian accidents are often a nasty sight, but you need a proper medical examination even if you’re not feeling sore or seeing red. Police will also arrive on the scene to take witness statements and create a report. This will help determine who was at fault, although a more detailed investigation is sometimes needed if an insurance company contests your story.
How does insurance coverage for pedestrian accidents work?
Injured pedestrians may be covered under their health insurance or disability insurance policy. If the accident occurs while they’re on the clock, they may be covered by worker’s comp. But after a pedestrian accident, the claims process is not always straightforward: sometimes, even your own insurance company will try to blame you! Don’t sign anything they present to you, or else you will risk losing some or all of the compensation that is due to you. This is why you need to consult a personal injury attorney who will fight for you and inform you of your rights.
What are the main causes of pedestrian accidents?
One word: distraction. Failing to look out for the people we share the streets with is a recipe for an accident.
Driver Safety Tips
On the road, safety is a responsibility we all share. Drivers can do their part by practicing defensive driving and following these tips:
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks. Stop far enough back and get a good view, as pedestrians could approach from any direction.
- Never pass vehicles stopped at a crosswalk. There may be people crossing that you can’t see.
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Avoid distractions like texting, eating, or changing your radio or GPS.
- Follow the speed limit, being mindful of slower speed limits in school zones and in neighborhoods.
- Be careful when backing up. Don’t just check your rearview mirror – turn around and look both ways for pedestrians.
Pedestrian Safety Tips
Below are tips for pedestrians. Stay safe out there!
- Obey all signs, lights, and signals. Sometimes being predictable is a good thing!
- Walk facing traffic, and don’t walk in the street or on the shoulder. Use sidewalks whenever they are available.
- Stay alert at all times. How many times have we almost walked into a pole or door because our eyes were glued to our phones? You don’t want to make this mistake in the path of a vehicle.
- Cross only at crosswalks or intersections, and look for cars in all directions, including those making turns.
- Never assume a driver can see you or will give you the right of way. Make and maintain eye contact with drivers as they approach. Watch out for cars pulling into or out of driveways or parking spaces.
- Stay sober. Forgive the pun, but public intoxication is a two-way street. Drinking and driving is an unforgivable offense, but if a drunk pedestrian darts in front of a car, they can also be held liable.
Why Choose Our Team?
Auto-pedestrian cases can be complex. They often involve serious injuries and liability debates – extra stress you don’t need when you’re recovering.
Let an experienced attorney handle your case and stand up for your rights. With decades of combined experience, Stewart and his team will work tirelessly to recover as much as possible on your claim.
Best of all, you don’t pay us anything at all unless we win your case.
Choose an Attorney with Strength and Experience
When you’ve been struck by a vehicle, you need more than just advice. You need an ally. You need an advocate. Let Stewart J. Guss and his team of pedestrian accident attorneys lend you a hand.
It’s our mission to help you see the best possible recovery for your injuries. Call 800-898-4877 to talk to us about your auto-pedestrian accident.
Remember, your consultation is FREE, and you pay NOTHING unless we win your case. Contact us today!
“I was extremely impressed with how easy they made the process of dealing with my insurance company, doctors offices, and other bill collectors involved in my accident. They are very good at keeping you informed about your case, and turn your calls very quickly. If I am ever in another car accident I will be using them again.”
Rating: 5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Read more reviews on Google!