Lake Charles Personal Injury Attorneys
Office Location: 400 Poydras Tower, #1975, New Orleans, 70130
Southern Louisiana is a popular destination for those who are seeking pleasant weather and exceptional cuisine. From the world-famous Cajun restaurants to the elegant and fun casinos, there are plenty of opportunities to find something that interests you in this town. For those who aren’t able to attend the Mardi Gras celebrations in New Orleans, the Mardi Gras museum in Lake Charles gives an overview of this colorful holiday. One trip to Lake Charles, and you might feel tempted to relocate on the spot.
In addition to all of the extra-curricular activities available in this area, Lake Charles was reported to have one of the fastest growing economies in 2016. As the population of Lake Charles continues to expand, residents and visitors alike risk experiencing an accident on the roads or as they walk through the town.
If you were hurt in Lake Charles and believe that someone else was at fault for your injury, you may not know what to do. Dealing with an injury is difficult enough, but when insurance companies start to call you and medical bills pile up fast, the situation can turn VERY stressful. The legal team of Lake Charles attorneys at Stewart J. Guss Personal Injury Lawyers can help you through every step of the process. Call us NOW for your completely free consultation. We will examine the details of your situation and help to advise how to proceed. Our intake department is available, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, at 800-898-4877, or you may contact us now by .
DO NOT DELAY—call us now. We are available to speak with you about your injuries and your right to just compensation.
Common Injuries Sustained by Accident Victims
In Lake Charles, an injury can happen in any number of places. We have worked with clients who have been injured due to:
- Car accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Bike accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Construction site workplace accidents
- Nursing home and elder abuse
- Truck accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
These are a few of the most common causes of personal injury, but the list extends beyond this. We have helped numerous clients gain rightful compensation from a negligent party. Some of the most common injuries we have seen include:
Traumatic brain injuries. A TBI can range from a mild concussion to a serious and permanent impairment. These are some of the most dangerous injuries because symptoms are often delayed or difficult to recognize. A TBI can happen during any accident. These injuries are often found in those who have suffered a slip and fall or a motor vehicle collision.
Fractures and broken bones. Although doctors treat broken bones every day, they are still serious injuries and can lead to other long-term problems like chronic nerve pain, limited mobility, and arthritis.
Soft tissues damage. This type of injury is especially common with elder abuse and nursing home neglect cases. Many of these victims will have bedsores and other soft tissue damage due to lack of attention and immobility. These injuries can lead to many more serious issues down the line, and for this reason, it is ESSENTIAL to seek help if you suspect a case of elder abuse.
Spinal cord injuries. In order for your body to receive messages from your brain, the spinal cord must be working properly. Therefore, any damage to this pathway can result in a life-changing injury. Serious spinal cord damage can lead to partial or complete and permanent paralysis. This is one of the most dangerous injuries, as the spinal cord is delicate and essential to your body functioning properly.
This is a limited list of some of the more common injuries our clients have experienced. If you’ve been hurt in an accident it is important to keep a detailed record of all of your symptoms. Explain what you are experiencing when you visit your doctor and make sure to follow the medical advice and recovery plan they put together for you. It is also important to collect all of the medical records and documentation available. These will help to establish the extent of your injury when you start to put your claim together.
The Dangers of Putting off the Conversation
Every state indicates the statute of limitations, meaning the amount of time you have to file a claim after the accident. Some states allow up to three years to file a claim, but in Louisiana, the timeline is MUCH shorter. In fact, in this state, you have only ONE year from the date of the incident to file an accident claim. If you try to submit a claim after a year, the judge will dismiss it and you typically will have no recourse. For this reason, it is ESSENTIAL to quickly find a law firm with the skill and experience to work on your behalf!
If you have been injured, it can be difficult to figure out what to do next. Don’t ignore your rights! Start the conversation as soon as possible, even if you’re not sure what to say. Our legal team can help guide you through this process. Here are some steps to remember after an accident.
If you have serious injuries, call the paramedics right away
Report the accident. Depending on the situation, you will want to contact the police, who will file an official report, to your supervisor at work, or to a doctor or social worker. If you are confused, speak with our team of attorneys and legal professionals for guidance.
See a doctor. Even if you don’t think you are seriously injured, it is important to see a medical professional who can perform an exam. These medical records will be important when claiming a personal injury.
Call a law firm! As noted above, you have just ONE year from the date of your accident to file a claim. Although this might seem like a long time, it really isn’t. Speak with our team of personal injury lawyers and legal professionals as soon as you can. They will help establish your claim and work with you through the entire process.
Continue the suggested treatment that your doctor has advised. If you stop treatment before completion, the insurance companies will try to attest that you must not be seriously injured. This will help them reduce the value of your claim, or even deny it completely.
Don’t Let the Insurance Company Convince you to Settle too Soon
Most people who have been injured by a negligent party will rely on a monetary settlement from their insurance company to cover the multitude of expenses that add up after an accident. Although they might try to do so, DO NOT let the insurance companies pressure you into settling for less than you deserve. We recommend the following when dealing with the insurance companies after an accident:
- Refrain from providing them with a statement. Even if it is clear that another party was at-fault for your injury, the insurance companies will often attempt to get you to provide a statement describing your version of what happened during the accident. Although you might be tempted to tell your story, thinking that it will help support your claim, the truth is that anything you say can actually hurt your chances of receiving a fair settlement. The insurance companies are going to look for ways to minimize the damages, and unknowingly, something you say in your statement might come back to harm your case. Don’t give them the opportunity to challenge the facts of your claim. Wait until you consult with your law firm before offering a statement. Then you can put together a strategic plan of action on how to deal with the insurance companies.
- Don’t sign anything without speaking to our team of lawyers and legal professionals. Just as it is advisable to keep from speaking to a representative at the insurance agency, it is also a good idea to speak with our team of attorneys and legal professionals before you sign any documents. Without having a clear understanding of the entire picture, even a seemingly innocuous document can become a hurtful piece of evidence that damages your case. A law firm can work on your behalf and will advise you on which documents are ok to sign and which should be put off for now.
- Remember that the insurance companies will attempt to minimize your compensation. It’s common practice for insurance companies to initially offer you a settlement that is much less than your claim is worth. In some cases, this first offer won’t even be enough to cover the medical expenses you’ve already incurred, let alone the cost of ongoing medical treatment necessary for your recovery.
- Hire an experienced personal injury law firm to represent you. The insurance companies have a legal team dedicated to finding holes in your claim. Their overall goal will be to minimize the amount of compensation they offer you. Remember, the insurance company is still a business that is looking to maintain their profit margins. In order to have the best chance of receiving the monetary damages you deserve, it is advisable to speak with a team of Lake Charles lawyers and legal professionals with experience working through issues with the insurance companies. A legal team such as ours can identify common tactics that insurance companies use, like delaying a claim in order to coerce clients into accepting a settlement offer, and will use their skill to work around these motives.
Learn How Much Compensation You Deserve
When you’re injured in an accident, the financial impact can start to feel stressful with your first trip to the hospital. Depending on the severity of your injuries, and predicted recovery time, the costs of healing from an injury can be astronomic! There are certain economic damages that are attributed to many injury cases. These can include:
- A ride to the hospital in an ambulance
- Overnight stays at the hospital
- Medical evaluations and treatment
- Ongoing physical therapy
- Medical devices and in-home adaptations
Factoring economic damages is relatively straightforward, as there is usually a paper trail that is easy to follow. Calculating non-economic damages can be a bit more challenging. These damages could include:
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Depression due to social isolation
- Disability or disfigurement
Non-economic damages are more subjective and difficult to quantify. An experienced personal injury law firm can become an invaluable resource when you are attempting to calculate these damages. They can provide a realistic estimate and if needed, can hire experts to attest to their calculations. It can be easy to gloss over these damages, but over time, these non-economic damages can last much longer than your actual physical injuries.
Consult a Lake Charles, Louisiana, Personal Injury Law Firm Today
The Stewart J. Guss Personal Injury Lawyers have extensive experience working on a wide range of personal injury cases. We are proud of the work we’ve done, and have a strong track record advocating for our client’s rights to just compensation. If you were injured in an accident DO NOT delay—call us now! The clock starts ticking on your statute of limitations the day that your accident occurs. It can take time to collect proper documentation in order to file a personal injury claim, and putting off speaking to our team of lawyers and legal professionals can cost you.
We take all of our personal injury cases on a contingency fee basis, so you will not owe us a DIME unless we win your case. We are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, so call us today at 800-898-4877 or contact us now by .
See what past clients have to say:
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
“As a relatively new resident of Houston, I did not know of an attorney to contact for a personal injury suit. I randomly went through the yellow pages contacting two attorneys that had rejected my case prior to me contacting Stewart Guss. Stewart took my case on and settled for far more than I had anticipated. The silver lining of this is that I will now have enough money to go back to school for retraining, so I will be able to reenter the workforce in a new capacity. The paralegal, Angela, was kind and supportive throughout the process. If I did not understand the legal jargon, I did not hesitate to ask, and was never once made to feel that I was incompetent. Thank you Stewart and Angela for giving me a new lease on live.”
See more client testimonials here